Dill going downhill, getting smaller

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dill going downhill, getting smaller

Well another mystery as to why this plant that was once healthy and vigorous is yellowing and shrinking. The fennel next to it is fine but the dill looks sickly or is this normal as the flowers seem healthy ? 2 images to show how much it has shrunk in just a couple of days.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20170625_20_20_37_Pro.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	2404721
    Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20170701_16_01_04_Pro.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	2404720

If you want to grow dill for its leaves, you shouldn't let it flower. Its now setting seeds and it thinks its job is done. Also, if your fennel is flowering it may have been crosspollinated so the seeds that either of them may produce will not grow true to type.

Comment

Looks like another write off then ☹️

Comment

Dill is an annual and for leaves needs to be sown several times in a season. The last hot spell of weather will have encouraged it to bolt. Better to buy a packet of seed and sow little and often.
        Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Marb your not alone my dill is bolting as well. But I grow it mostly as a companion plant, so I don't have a problem with it bolting.

Comment

Calling it a write-off is a bit hard on the dill! It's done it's job: grow, reproduce, die.

Maybe, when you buy a plant, you need to check it's likely growth pattern and life cycle so you know what to expect. Disappointments in the garden are depressing, but it strikes me that sometimes your expectations of your plants are too high.

Comment

Well the dill is almost gone now with a few flowers left on. What I can't understand is why the fennel is also full of flowers but still healthy.

Comment

Dill is annual, grows,flowers,dies. Fennel is perennial so will not die back until the weather gets too cold and then it will be back next year.
                Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

You shouldn't grow Dill and Fennel close to each other either is my understanding, can't remember why though.

Comment

Cross Pollination??????

Comment

There is old wisdom that says fennel and dill will cross pollinate which
                      1. Would only be relevant if you were seed saving
                      2. Is probably as likely as potatoes and aubergines cross pollinating. Carrot family isn't known for rampant hybridisation otherwise I'd definitely plant up a bed of parrots

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                      ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                      ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X