No announcement yet.

Planting Dandelions on purpose?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The white sap of a fresh dandelion is dreadfully bitter isn't it?

Having said that, I grew up on Dandelion and Burdock and that was utterly delish....
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Of course now that you've mentioned it Burdock is looked at as a weed in the UK but as a prized vegetable in Japan

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
      ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
      ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Really?...didn't know that!
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
          Really?...didn't know that!
          It's know as gobo

Burdock Root (Gobo) Information, Recipes and Facts

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
          ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
          ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
            Of course now that you've mentioned it Burdock is looked at as a weed in the UK but as a prized vegetable in Japan
            you are very knowledgable jay-ell.

I love Dandelion and Burdock drink but I can imagine that drink does not resemble its original tasting self. Thank you all for your responses. I had bought myself an infusing teapot to make normal tea, but had been browsing the web for caffeine free alternatives and came across dandelion tea. It has really helped me feel so much better and decided to give dandelion coffee a go which I also found to be tasty and also caffeine free. As I was looking for dandelion coffee I saw packets of dandelion seeds and it got me wondering whether I should plant them to harvest and dry the leaves and roast the roots for my tea and coffee alternatives, or if anyone had here and their experiences of it.

Comment

Really interesting thread loved all the links too. You learn something every day

Comment

I like dandelions.

I think they're pretty and bees love them too.
                In my garden I let them grow as my chickens and my daughter's pet bearded dragon love to eat the leaves and flowers. They give an early, cheering flush of yellow in the spring. Dandelion wine is just beautiful but a faff to make!

I have tried growing them in pots but they really aren't happy (they survive but don't thrive).

Have you tried using the common ones in tea spindrift Ali?
                I would try those first and if they work and taste good, maybe stop treating the lawn?
                http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                  As Jay says, we often see various types of forced dandelion on market stalls.
                  I'm not sure if each type has a slightly different flavour...or is better for it's roots etc, but I've just found this and thought you might be interested?
                  It's got a lot of interesting recipes and advice.....

16 Dandelion Recipes | The Prairie Homestead

Let us know how you get on if you decide to have a bash at any of them!
                  Ooh, I like the sound of dandelion blossom cookies. Especially as they use honey instead of sugar. I'll definitely have a go at them. What a shame dandelion season is over now.
                  Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                  Endless wonder.

Comment

I've never thought of making use of all those dandelions before now, I do seem to get a lot growing in my garden, the seeds blow over from the waste ground behind us.
                    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                      Really interesting thread loved all the links too. You learn something every day
                      I have enjoyed reading everyone's take on this. Thank you Jay-ell and Nicos for the links, the recipes look great.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X