No announcement yet.

Newly bought sage starting to go downhill

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The compost is new and high quality nursery, not garden centre. If that is the case then I will give up on sage for good. Having said that I did put some cinnaman around the stem to prevent any mold as it's supposed to be excellent for preventing it.

Comment

What do you mean by "high quality nursery" compost, marb?

Comment

It's a high grade professional general plant compost that our local nursery sells (not made by them) and endorses as used by the nursery itself. I will add that the quality of plants grown there and sold are impeccable. They are sticklers for quality. The sage plant was bought elsewhere at a private nursery within a country estate.
        Last edited by Marb67; 16-06-2017, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Is this where you buy your plants too? If so, just wondering whether you could have a chat with them about the problems you have. Local nurseries are usually quite helpful.

Comment

I did say that the plant was purchased at another estate. but it isn't really relevant as all Sage purchased from different sources has ended up dying. There seem to be greater forces beyond my understanding and control that seemingly don't want me to grow sage.

Comment

Best you stop trying to grow sage then. If its any consolation, I can't keep them growing for long either. I do better with purple sage than green and the variegated one always dies!

Comment

Have you tried growing sage from seed rather than buying in plants? It may acclimatise better if it doesn't have to change environment.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

It's purple sage. I still have variegated sage growing by the skin of it's teeth from last year but my garden is protected being walled and I have kept it in the sun. Have cut the flowers off (shame as they were nice) and it has got no worse but now in greenhouse. What I may do is get some old stones and dry soil and see it it likes that better, Monty Don planted his like that.
                  Last edited by Marb67; 16-06-2017, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Well for the life of me I do not understand why this plant is wilting even more. It is kept in hot sun, the climate it likes, but now even the new shoots are wilting. Could I strike some of thw new shoots in hope of a new plant ? Unbelievable rate of death for new plants I buy continues.

Comment

Well it's a write off. Another complete waste of money. Probably about 5 plants in the last few years failed. The new growth that was healthy gave me hope but now that is dying. Just wtaered it to revive the wilt but not having any of it.

THERE IS NO REASON THIS SHOULD BE HAPPENING. IT DEFIES LOGIC !!! ( hence Angry typing)
                      Attached Files

Comment

Plant the next one in the ground they are not happy in pots.
                        Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

I've never got the watering right for sage in pots. Mine have always died too.
                          They thrive here almost with total neglect in the soil...just the occasional watering in a heatwave.
                          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I think neglect is the key to sage success. Just seen an enormous very healthy looking sage growing in one of Waitrose's beds that probably hasn't ever been watered.

All the ones in my garden have died.
                            Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Yellow dots on shop bought sage plant

Hi, does anyone know what yellow tiny dots mean on sage leaves?
                              It won’t let me upload a picture but they don’t look like fluffy mould, just tiny yellow dots all over some of the leaves.
                              Thanks

Comment

I bought a green sage from a garden centre and potted it up. Kept briefly in the greenhouse then moved to cold frame. I planted it out in the raised bed and it seems a lot happier there. I struggle to grow herbs in pots it is tricky to get the conditions right.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X