No announcement yet.

Another parsley failure

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've a large porch/outhouse with a clear roof and windows all round so it's a great place for me to have my herbs in pots during the winter. I often cook late evening so it's too dark going up the garden looking for stuff to cook. I also keep a couple of Rosemary and garlic chives in pots near the kitchen door even though I also have them in the garden. You can never grow too many herbs.
    Last edited by Scarlet; 08-01-2016, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Parsley is a Mediterranean plant and it likes full sun, which unfortunately it will not get in an English kitchen window sill. They are also biennial in nature - one season grow, one season flower then die.

I would guess that being kind and taking them indoors is a problem, just about everything we grow is an outdoor plant. Growing insiide a house is usually a death sentance for many plants. An unheated conservatory or green house is generally a much better idea. My supermarket parsley managed 2 years outside, finally flowering and dying on me as it completed it's cycle.

Comment

I agree with Kirk. If I dig up and take parsley indoors when strong frost is forecast they will survive in a windowsill for a while, but not grow.

Scarlet, I don't think the pot sizes are overkill. I've noticed that parsley only does well if the roots have quite a lot of space.

Comment

My wife won't let me grow parsley. She reckons there is an old wives tale that when you grow the seeds, you get a baby. She is 78.................

Comment

Did you make that up just to make the joke? If not, it's odd, because parsley seeds are fine to eat, but not if you are pregnant. And old wives tales often actually make sense.

Comment

An elderly Aunt had a superstition about parsley too. Something about not giving it away as it was bad luck. The recipient had to either take it or buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
                I find that what self seeds seems to do better than that I sow so now I let my parsley grow were it wants. I still keep some close to the house in pots though.
                I've noticed that too Bren. I just fling seeds around and they grow, and then self seed. We've loads at the moment. One of the pots in the greenhouse has even gone to flower seeds! It doesn't know it's winter!
                You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

Isn't there an old wives tale too about if you have abundant parsley growing in your garden it means the woman of the house is the one who 'wears the trousers'?!

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

From 'companion planting' by Brenda Little "I get sick of hearing ' I can see who's boss here!' When our flourishing parsley is noticed. It is said to only grow well in a garden where the woman is the boss, when actually it grows well when anyone has the sense to give it some shade and keep it away from the mint."
                    She also says aphids don't like it so grow it near tomatoes, asparagus and roses as it improves the taste of the fruit and the scent of the roses... So there you go!

Comment

Originally posted by ancee View Post
                      Isn't there an old wives tale too about if you have abundant parsley growing in your garden it means the woman of the house is the one who 'wears the trousers'?!
                      If so, it's a pity my husband isn't a gardener as I've had slightly disappointing results with parsley! I noticed I had much better germination rates with moss curled 2 than I did with giant italian parsley, but whether that was typical of curly parsley or just fresher seed/a better batch, I don't know. I'd rather have the flat stuff for cooking with any day, but the curly looks prettier in the garden border.

Comment

I feel your pain.

I've never had trouble growing parsley before so I stupidly ripped up my old plants only to find I couldn't get either curled or Italian parsley to grow.

Have ordered new seeds and will babysit this lot, but it's a bit of a shock when you suddenly can't grow something you've never had trouble with before.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X