Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mark Lottie View Post
    w

The window and window sill is kept clean, we open the window occaisionally to air it and keep the things well watered but the bugs always come. We even tried soapy water sprayed on but that made no difference.

thanks
    Well watered maybe your problem. They are often attracted to the very wet soil on the top. Try keeping the top dry and water from the bottom.

Comment

thanks that is a great tip, we use saucers anyway so will give it a go

Comment

Can anyone tell me how to grow Mrs Burn's Lemon Basil? I have been given some seeds and don't want to lose them. I understand it grows rather bushy.

Comment

Originally posted by BigV View Post
          Can anyone tell me how to grow Mrs Burn's Lemon Basil? I have been given some seeds and don't want to lose them. I understand it grows rather bushy.
          Sorry Big V, missed your post. I love lemon and lime basil! I don't find growing it any different to any other basils and grow a few per pot. I tend to start mine late April/may though cos they don't like the cold.

Comment

I will be having my basil soon. Just started with mint, parsley and dill.

The question is, is there so much difference when it is grown indoor rather than outdoor. My little herb garden is at the patio (covered) but will definitely move it outside on summer.

Comment

Originally posted by ronnie888 View Post
              The question is, is there so much difference when it is grown indoor rather than outdoor.
              Yes,I'm growing some basil indoors on the windowsill indoors & some outdoors in pots,in the ground,everywhere I have tomatoes as they're said to improve flavour & yield,so I try & it hopefully works.
              The indoor basil is perfect shaped,very soft textured leaves good in salads,full flavour. The outside basil,same variety has tougher thicker leaves,misshaped where tiny white bugs etc have fed/lived on them,few holes from slugs,full of flavour still but they must have hardened up a bit in the cold weather.

Comment

Citronella did the trick for me. Those are reed sticks on the left, in a small jar of citronella oil (Mrs. D's idea) and the tiny flies which were there before have now all gone. The small plant is self-sown Thai basil and the big one on the right is a supermarket basil plant which has kept going for about 5 months now.

Attached Files
                My blog: www.grow-veg.uk

@Grow_Veg_UK

Comment

My Basil has been growing in the greenhouse, but is starting to struggle as the weather gets cooler.
                  Will bring it indoors and hope it recovers.

Comment

Lack of daylights not helping,mine have been indoors throughout summer but look a bit sulky,feeding helps keep them going. I think there's a winter basil variety?

Comment

Basil's winter variety? Haven't heard of one.

Comment

Yes in the November magazine there are some free Thai basil seeds,says sow January to December. I've also got a couple of seed packets here,both sweet basil from t & m & mr Fothergills they say all year sowing indoors on a windowsill.
                        Last edited by Jungle Jane; 26-11-2015, 12:15 PM.

Comment

I've sown 2 lots of Basil today, sweet and purple, in smallish pots. Put them in a heated propagator, will be interesting to see how they compare. Sweet for cooking, purple for the flower border, although it will be OK for culinary use.

Comment

I have a 2 foot by 6 inch plastic trough.
                            I sow basil (about now) and keep it in the greenhouse.
                            Lemon basil is also nice.
                            Lots of basil !
                            Jimmy
                            Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

Originally posted by scarey55 View Post
                              That's exactly what I am doing Nicos, I love basil and, whilst I grow it through the summer, I repot bought basil in winter. Also, a little sprig popped in water will very quickly grow roots for even more plants . Did I say, I love basil
                              Thats a good idea.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X