• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thought a pic might help
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
      Fat hen - same family as Tree Spinach - Chenopodia.
      How to recognise the family? From the shape of their leaves!
      Cheno - podia means Goose-foot 'cos the leaves are the shape of goose's feet
      Could someone with a goose confirm this please ?
      Haven't got a goose to hand but plenty of pics around.... - as below. I can see the connection though it doesn't strike me as exactly obvious or identical (I'd be more inclined to call it the "kite family" than "goosefoot"....). Last year I grew Amaranth (again there are both red and green varieties) which I think is another "goosefoot" spinach. Live and learn.....

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
        Looks very much like Mexican tree spinach to me. I grow it every year, though mine is single stemmed, grows to about 6ft and is an annual.
        I use the very small magenta leaves to brighten up salads. I grow it every year, will self seed profusely. Does the magenta colour rub of slightly?
        Yes, the magenta does rub off! Proof indeed. Many thanks to all for solving this mystery. And I can use it on salads if not quite a herb as a design agent!

Meantime I like the idea of a SIX FOOT Fat Hen... that would scare my allotment colleagues big time!

Comment

Would a FIVE FOOT Fat Hen have the same effect? I happen to know one

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
            Would a FIVE FOOT Fat Hen have the same effect? I happen to know one
            LOL, Yes, sounds a good idea VC, particularly if good at pecking out fat hen seedlings.... One plant can evidently produce 50,000 to 100,00 seeds of 2 varieties, some which need to hatch immediately but mostly seed that can survive in the soil for 50 years or so until conditions are right. So every time you put a fork in the soil or yank a weed out you'll bring more to the optimum depth, you can almost hear them saying "Yippee, I've been down there in the damp dark for 35 years waiting for this moment and now sun and sex, whoopee, where are the bees...?" They spring up over night!

Comment

Sounds like it could be invasive Bertie!!!
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Nicos if you save the seeds it can be used as green manures.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                  if you save the seeds it can be used as green manures.
                  Could it really? I hadn't thought of that one.... but I think my fellow allotment folk might shoot me if I start growing fat hen, it's the most regular topic of conversation on the allotments because so invasive, how to exterminate it.... If I grew it as green manure and then forgot to plough it back before it seeds I have a premonition I might end up upside-down in a local water butt on the grounds that if you can't exterminate fat hen exterminate anyone who grows it.....

Comment

You wouldn't forget to plough this back when it's in flower as the plant is so large. When they are young they are very easy to get rid of.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X