No announcement yet.

walking herb catastrophe

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's go back to basics. What sort of herbs do you want to grow?

Comment

A lot of herb seeds are very tiny and germinate better in the light, so sprinkle them on top of damp compost and don't cover them with compost. Put some cling film or a piece of clear glass or propagator lid over the pot so they don't dry out.

Do any of your neighbours grow herbs? Perennial herbs grow well from cuttings, perhaps you could beg a bouquet garni from a neighbour and plant all the pieces?
      Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
      Endless wonder.

Comment

Just a suggestion to give you a start, Dobbies are doing 6 herbs in pots for £10.00, v good quality, you can then pot them into larger pots and away they'll go.

Parsley,oregano,chives bought from them last year have survived the winter and growing well,all in pots.

I've started basil and Corriander inside in modules,and so far they look good,ask someone for a mint cutting.
        DottyR

Comment

Originally posted by Dorothy rouse View Post
          Just a suggestion to give you a start, Dobbies are doing 6 herbs in pots for £10.00, v good quality, you can then pot them into larger pots and away they'll go.
          OP is in France - not sure what the garden centre set up is like over there.

Comment

Originally posted by bretty666 View Post
            any general advice would be mucb appreciated
            Herbs in containers / Royal Horticultural Society

I don't like herbs much, but I can grow parsley, basil, coriander, marjoram, chives & thyme. Basil in particular likes warmth. Parsley self-seeds on my plot, my chives & marjoram die back in winter but come back strong in spring.

I don't do well with sage, but it's surviving on neglect in the school garden (sunny spot).

And I can't grow the biggest herb of all: banana
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Banana is a herb??? You learn something everyday.

What herbs are you trying to grow??? I start most of mine in small pots in the g/h.

Comment

Apologies for the delayed reply. im just trying to grow normal kitchen herbs. i had one pack that came on a sort of roll of toilet paper so the seeds were inbetween the sheets and perforated inti strips . didnt work though. iv just tried my dill on the surface of compost to see if that helps. im determined but frustrated

Comment

I haven't had much luck with seeds for herbs. I also can't seem to make sage survive.

But I have Rosemary, oregano, savoury and french tarragan in the garden. I'm pretty sure I planted all from potted seedlings. In winter I mulch them up high with hay and they shoot thru it in spring and take off again. The oregano is particularly not fond of the cold so I have to be sure it doesn't catch a late frost.
                  I have started drying them this year and am going to also make those olive oil herb cubes in the freezer this year. That should get us through the winter.

I haven't done much with the herbs, just plant the seedling mulch heavily and water frequently. Now they're a few year on they grow together in a mass and seem to protect each other.
                  Parsley I grow in a pot. I never have much luck with chives, but keep trying. I've started another herb garden pot with green and purple basil and parsley. Hoping it will survive winter in the house as the basil seems to turn its toes up at the first bit of cold here.
                  I find the hardiest little herb plants come from school/church fetes and fundraising stalls. They are usually sown by older gardeners into pots from their hardy local plants, and that is the best way to get plants that like your local soil/climate I find.
                  Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Try buying a few plants and see if they survive. Growing herbs from seeds can be hit or miss (apart from things like coriander or rocket).

Definitely put in a sunny place with well-drained soil (half soil or compost, half sharp sand or grit) if you are growing medditerranean herbs.

Or you could always try mint. If you can't grow that, you can't grow anything!

Comment

Yes, but what month did you sow them? Where did you leave them to germinate? Not enough info to go on...
                      I haven't started any herbs off yet! I'm using last years herbs, parsley still growing in pots in my porch, chives are through from last year, thyme has just started to leaf up, rosemary outside all year round. You say herbs, but which ones in particular? Over the years I've narrowed My grow list down to the few I really enjoy in my food.

Comment

Iv found green stuff poking up where they should be!!! I may have done it!! I didnt germinate anything apart from dill and that was just done as an experiment a few times. i just put stuff in rows of three in the herb bed..rocket. coriander.parsley. basil i think and the pre-kitchen roll strips of mixed herbs..i planted then maybe about 3 weeks ago..i can know the exact date tomorrow but i cant tell you off the top of my head.

Comment

It's much more satisfying growing your own herbs, but if you're really having problems, I agree with one of Bill's early posts on this thread, get some small plants from a garden centre. Pick sparingly in the first year to let them get established.

I found growing some herbs from seed quite slow, especially things like sage, thyme and rosemary where you need a decent few sprigs per recipe.

I do grow basil and parsley every year, starting each one off from fresh seed every year on a windowsill, they soon get big enough to pick.
                          Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Much appreciated everyone. thanks for your input. i will buy a few plants and keep in a pot whilst my others.grow i.think?

Comment

If you hang on a bit the French Gerden centres will have the aromatics (herbs) in smaller pots which makes buying the perennial ones much cheaper.
                              Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

They have started to get them in a bricomarché and gamme vert and the other similar shops. i just couldnt justify paying 3euros for a small pot when i can get a big coffee jar size of freese dry herbs fir 99 cents. i dont ming buying seeds because you get alot for your miney if you can make.each seed grow...i know.everyone is going to say yeh but the freshness of your own herbs makes it worth buying a few plants....well. i dont thinkbi have paid for anything in my garden apart from seeds and a trowel. everything else was recycled or i found it in the house and barns when i moved here. i thinkbpart of the fun for me is kbowing iv grown stuff for as cheap as possible

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X