Why is Tarragon so hard to grow ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is Tarragon so hard to grow ?

What's the secret with tarragon. I bought a pot from a garden centre, repotted on and it did the usual sickly slow growth with dying leaves. As it said on the label it likes poor soil I added sand to the compost and still very small new growth with lots of browning leaves. Keep in greenhouse in sun and never let it dry out.

Link here for you How to Grow Tarragon by Hartley Botanic

I would also add that it really doesn't need to be in a greenhouse at this time of the year.

Comment

Put it in the ground. Mine is at the base of an East facing wall and does fine and survives the low temperatures we get here.
      Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Mine is in a pot in the poly. I am mean with the watering, it is often bone dry before I give it water. It's about 2' high in a 10" pot.
        "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

I can see new growth but on the while its on a minuscule scale. The plant has got no bigger in over 4 months of having it. If anything it has got smaller.

Comment

Chuck it out then Marb

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
              Chuck it out then Marb
              Or let it die off by stopping watering then just keep the soil moist over winter and see if it comes back next spring. Or these look reasonable, though I haven't used them:- 5 Tarragon French « Battlesbridge Mills
              "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

In my experience they are slow to germinate and can't be too wet, and can't be too dry. You have to be very attentive to them. I have not grown Tarragon, but I would imagine it is similar to most other perennial herbs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X