Caraway seeds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caraway seeds

has anyone grown caraway from seeds, just using the ones bought in packets/jars from tesco's etc.

have tried to find plants in local garden centres, but alas the searching has proved in vain.
    Kernow rag nevra

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
    Bob Dylan

Hi, as Caraway is a native of much warmer climes, i.e. Africa, I'm not sure if sunny Britain is a good place to grow it. I've not heard of anyone trying to grow it in this country but nothing ventured, etc. I'll watch this thread.
    I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Caraway (Carum carvi) is native of Europe and Western Asia, it's biennial and I've grown it in my garden for the past 4 years, although its died off now as biennials do. You can get the seed or plants mail order from Jekka McVicar's site. You can also get seed from Barwinnock Herbs, Poyntzfield Herb Nursery, Suffolk Herbs and Suttons Seeds to name but a few. Holler if you want the urls for the above, as I only want one plant I'm off to order mine now

Comment

Yep, I've grown them. Sow in situ somwher nice and sunny and leave them to go to seed and collect when they are dry.

I'f you're really good I'll dig out the old family recipe for nit cake ( well thats what we used to call it )

The organic garden catalogue sells it as well as seed
        ntg
        Never be afraid to try something new.
        Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
        A large group of professionals built the Titanic
        ==================================================

Comment

I've grown Caraway, didn't realise it was a bi-annual, so thought it hadn't come to anything, then the next year, it reappeared and there were loads of lovely seeds to harvest. I use them in rye bread, or try them with rosti or stir fried cabbage. fantastic!
          Last edited by muckdiva; 08-05-2007, 10:10 AM.
          All at once I hear your voice
          And time just slips away
          Bonnie Raitt

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X