protecting herbs

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• protecting herbs

i have 6 month old thyme does it need protecting for the winter. i have bell cloches available
    my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

Some of the Herbs that really need either to be brought in, or fleeced are: lemon verbena, myrtel, and geraniums, though only the scented ones and potted ones. House leeks too, just remembered!
    I expect there are more...(feel free to fill in below )

Comment

My thymes are planted out as soon as I get them and they stay out, unprotected.

Comment

My Thymes are fine (a bit straggly). What they really don't like is too much wet.

In my greenhouse I currently have: myrtles, African blue basil, lemon verbena, mexican marigold (tagetes lucida), tangerine sage, blackcurrant sage, pineapple sage, indian mint (satureja douglasii), stevia (also some inside just in case), coleus caninus, vietnamese coriander plus probably some others I can't recall off the top of my head. In the house there is lemon grass, aloe vera, stevia, balm of gilead (cedronella) plus a turmeric I rooted from some roots I bought in Morrisons!
        Last edited by Ocelot; 05-11-2012, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Thyme is tough so in Wiltshire it should be fine. Rosemary could sometimes do with a bit of protection in an exposed position as could Bay.
          Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Originally posted by Ocelot View Post
            My Thymes are fine (a bit straggly). What they really don't like is too much wet.
            In my greenhouse I currently have: myrtles, African blue basil, lemon verbena, mexican marigold (tagetes lucida), tangerine sage, blackcurrant sage, pineapple sage, indian mint (satureja douglasii), stevia (also some inside just in case), coleus caninus, vietnamese coriander plus probably some others I can't recall off the top of my head. In the house there is lemon grass, aloe vera, stevia, balm of gilead (cedronella) plus a turmeric I rooted from some roots I bought in Morrisons!
            Ocelot, where are you? Would you like to add your location to your profile as its gives others a better idea of what your local conditions are!
            My blackcurrant sage, Indian Mint and cedronella have lived outside without protection for several years.

Comment

Hi Veggie Chicken, I'm in Surrey. I lost a couple of lemon verbenas in 2002 (2003?) after a severe frost (they were 5 foot plus tall, too), so I'm taking few chances for now. The garden is south facing and sheltered, so they may be ok.

Besides, is there a better scent than cedronella to run your fingers though during the winter?!

Comment

Agreed Ocelot! Cedronella is so refreshing especially if you have a cold I find it self seeds readily.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X