Parsley - Difficult to Germinate?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parsley - Difficult to Germinate?

Is parsley (flat leaved) difficult to germinate. I have had two pots of seeds on the go for more than 21 days now and no sign at all.

Would a propagator help? and is it too late now? Should I start with another sowing?

Always bought plants up until now, but thought I'd try growing my own.
    ~
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
    ~ Mary Kay Ash

Hello Jennie, Parsley is notoriously slow to germinate but it should come. It's not too late to sow more if you feel you want to go for belt and braces but the stuff you have will come. Plant some new stuff tomorrow, and the ones you have will pop up.
    My flat leaved parsley has stood outdoors right through the winter. It was just planted in the ground last year, is about a foot high, and there's no end to it.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Thanks Alice - I'll let is stand, but do another pot!

I've got curly parsley and flat leaved parsley in the polytunnel which has been there all winter and I've had some really good croppings. But it is running to seed a bit now, but very strong tasting. So I think I will dry some before I pull it up.
      ~
      Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
      ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

As an insurance policy ,by a pot from supermarket or GC.devide it and plant it .you will have some to pick from while your seeds are growing up.g
        goddess

Comment

They (old wives etc!) reckon you should water the drill with hot water first. I grew it in industrial quantities one year for wine - it came up a treat. This may have been a co-incidence.
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
            They (old wives etc!) reckon you should water the drill with hot water first. I grew it in industrial quantities one year for wine - it came up a treat. This may have been a co-incidence.
            Parsley wine? What on earth was that like?
            Happy Gardening,
            Shirley

Comment

I'll try that Flummery thanks (the hot water in the drill not the industrial quantities!)
              ~
              ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Jennie,

If you're sowing in pots - cover them with a glass pane or a sheet of clear plastic (I also put a brick on top so it doesnt get blown off).

I planted parsley, dill and coriander in one large pot, covered it as above and kept outside. The first two came out in about a week, parsley took 3 weeks to germinate but it did appear eventually.

Comment

Grew it from seed for the first time this year, no problems at all, germinated in a couple of days in a 3" pot in a heated propogator. Was expecting problems so sowed a bit thickly. Split it this weekend into 3 pots and have already eaten some from an early April sowing.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Parsley wine (when made to my recipe) is a light dry wine Shirl - gorgeous.
                    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

It just needed patience. They are up fine now. Just taken ages!
                      ~
                      ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Glad your parsley popped up Jennie. These things usually do just come down to patience.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Soak seeds overnight in water before sowing - this usually works.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X