Collecting Coriander seeds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collecting Coriander seeds

Most of my coriander bolted and I havent used much of the leaf, so i;ve decided to cut my losses and use the seed for eating and for next year. The flowers have half died and some have formed a little green bulb/fruit, I assume this is the seed capsule?

What is the best way to harvest coriander seeds?

Thanks

I harvested my coriander seeds last year and then planted again this year and they've grown really well. What i did was cut all the stalks off that had the little green seeds on and fastened them into a bunch with an elastic band. I hung them up to dry for a couple of weeks. Once they'd dried out I put the whole bunch in a big paper bag and holding the stems I gave the bunch a good shake and a bash to knock all the seeds off. There may be a better way but this certainly worked well for me. Hope this helps.

Comment

Ok so how big should I wait for the green fruits to be before taking them off? Some are bigger than others.

Thanks for reply.

Comment

I don't know if it makes a difference but I'd probably let the really tiny ones get a bit bigger? You could hang them to dry it a few smaller bunches that way. I left mine till they were 2/3mm I would say.

Comment

some of my coriander has run to seed too .... i'm going to put the pots in a tray all on their own and wait for the seeds to drop off into the tray .....
          http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by flowertot View Post
            I harvested my coriander seeds last year and then planted again this year and they've grown really well. What i did was cut all the stalks off that had the little green seeds on and fastened them into a bunch with an elastic band. I hung them up to dry for a couple of weeks. Once they'd dried out I put the whole bunch in a big paper bag and holding the stems I gave the bunch a good shake and a bash to knock all the seeds off. There may be a better way but this certainly worked well for me. Hope this helps.
            That's the way to do it

Comment

and then use them in your curries
              http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

I leave them on the plant until they're brown, then I pull up the plant and shake it all over the plot. The following year I get it popping up everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by flowertot View Post
                  Almost exactly the same way as me, but I waited for them to go brown on the plant, then cut the stalks and put them into brown paper bags.
                  Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X