No announcement yet.

Ideas for herb box

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all your suggestions. So far I have decided on French tarragon, garlic chives, Cornish pepper leaf, spice basil, cinnamon basil, strawberry mint. Thanks for all your help

Comment

Cert herbs for me
      Lemon Verbena x 2 and cropped alternately (making tea)
      Coriander (for carrot soup and curries)
      Sweet basil (tomatoes and v nive in a ham sandwich)
      French tarragon x 3 cropped alternately(tarragon chicken)
      Chives (cheese on toast, scambled egg and jacket potato)
      Chervil (if you like tarragon taste) (as above)
      Parsley (with chillis in scrambled egg)
      Rosemary (lamb) They are as inseparable and Lennon and Ono
      Moroccan and Chocolate peppermint for making tea (Use pep for fighting colds)
      I grow lots of sage but don't seem to use it. Looks nice though and the older ladies at work keep asking me for a bag of leaves!!

P
      Last edited by eospete; 10-06-2012, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhoda View Post
        Thanks for all your suggestions. So far I have decided on French tarragon, garlic chives, Cornish pepper leaf, spice basil, cinnamon basil, strawberry mint. Thanks for all your help
        Are you going to plant them all in the same box? I don't know anything about Cornish pepper leaf but it sounds too big for a box. Also, some of your herbs will be perennial and others annual so you may want to have a separate box for the perennials so that they're not disturbed by the planting and removal of the annual herbs.

Comment

Don't worry they are not all being planted in a box. They are going to be in their own pot and i will create a herb corner. We do not have an inch of soil in our garden as the previous owners of the house slabbed it all out so everything is grown in tubs. Has worked so far so I'd better start search for the seeds...

Comment

Oh I should have said if you want the Cornish Pepper Leaf to flower you have to have male and female plants. I have one plant and no idea what sex the d@mn thing is! But I've found another company that sells them online in a pack of 5 - one male and 4 females. Looking forward to getting some of them and using the berries as pepper corns, but using the pepper leaves already. It can be a big bush in the finish but it very striking looking as well as useful.
            Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X