No announcement yet.

Garlic?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would be well chuffed with a crop like that! Fingers crossed for June.

Comment

So if I'm going to plant supermarket cloves, do I need to look for British garlic or should Spanish etc grow OK here too? Should it be freshly bought or does it not matter since the supermarket's supplier will have stored it for ages anyway?

Comment

I buy organic garlic cloves, preferably British and mine have been in the ground for months!

Comment

I saw a friend harvest his garlics - a beautiful crop just like yours T8ter and have grown it ever since. I just love cooking with stuff I have grown.
          A weed is a plant that has mastered every survival skill except for learning how to grow in rows

Comment

I have some that is pretty poorly, trampled it to heck while clearing an out of control climbing rose, ivy and stuff from an outhouse. The smell was fantastic but I dont know if I've destroyed the bulbs, will see if I can locate them at the weekend. Climate wise I'll try mid sept to relocate them to somewhere suitable. The climate here in N.I. is generally 5-10 deg cooler than S. England in summer and maybe a couple deg warmer in winter, discounting winters like that of 2010-11 of course.

Comment

Inchelium Red Garlic

Harvested from one pound of garlic seed today. Better than you can buy.

Last edited by LonghornGardens; 01-06-2012, 03:40 AM.

Comment

Where are we, 1st of june. None of my foliage has gone brown yet. Some of it is starting to go crispy due to windburn. The window in the books-St.Alans, and the lotment source book-is june, july, August. So I could stood tapping a wellied toe for some time. Ours goes into Indian dinners, mostly. Might have to furtle and see if I have bulbous things. The response so far has been 'what we going to do with all that garlic?' My response in the first instance, is to keep the vamps away as is cheaper than Buffy the Vampire slayer and doesn't involve so much health and safety from filling. Ma has already told me to keep one to go to seed-though i don't think that works, but keeping the bulbs for next year is better-I might do as I am told just to prove a point. Think I have Isle of wight garlic, and it was the first thing I planted last septemeber october when I got the plot. Is nearly as tall as me. Harvesting one now, would give me wet garlic. I would love to stumble into the living room, raise it aloft and exclaim 'MA LOOK WHAT I DID!" to which i would get told, "You've brought mud in again, you better clean it."
                Horticultural Hobbit

http://twitter.com/#!/HorticulturalH
                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Horti...085870?sk=info

http://horticulturalhobbit.com/

Comment

garlic must be one of the easiest things to grow ... pop the cloves in the ground and wait 9 months .... job done .... save some to replant later, scoff the rest ....

although the "save some" thing doesn't normally happen so i have to get more from sainsburys .... i never get garlic from garden centres .... just not worth paying more than necessary ....

as far as i'm concerned, there are only 2 types of garlic .... normal garlic and elephant garlic .... as far as i'm concerned, all "varieties" of normal garlic are the same thing with the same taste, just given different names by different growers .... if there are any colour / size variations, as far as i'm concerned that's simply down to the climate / soil etc .... (i'm making the "talk to the hand" gesture!)

i'm hoping to get to the isle of wight garlic festival this year .... maybe that'll change my mind on varieties ...
                  http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornGardens View Post

Nice crop! Is there a reason why you've lifted it 'in the green' though?
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
                      Advantages to growing garlic:
                      1) a couple of bulbs split to about 35 cloves which grow to 35 new bulbs
                      2) garlic planted in Oct/Nov uses space not used for anything else, and is out the ground by end of June ready for catch crops of lettuce/carrots etc
                      3) replanting your own 'best' bulbs each year increases yield - I look at puny supermarket garlic bulbs and choke at the price, and laugh at the size
                      4) lasts in a plait in a cool dark place (e.g. garage) from harvesting in July through to the next year's harvest with barely a shoot

Disadvantages:
                      1) when you have a huge plait of freely available garlic hung up in the garage, you eat PLENTY of garlic - health benefits (yes), social benefits (no)
                      Advantage 5) It keeps our friends from Transalvania away on their night time forays........
                      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Very nice looking garlic Longhorn, and early to be so big, where are you located?
                        "We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses."-- Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Plus it keeps the garden vampires away??? SORRY lol D

omg Now I have actually read upwards and someone has aready said this lol flutters away lol...
                          Last edited by GardenFaery; 01-06-2012, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Hey all.
                            I normally (although late this year) plant on the shortest day of the year and harvest on the longest or there abouts. Normally works a treat.
                            Ped.

Comment

Harvested from one pound of garlic seed today. Better than you can buy
                              Is that the Inchelium Red? (sp?)
                              Another variety I've not heard of before (I just plant supermarket garlic)
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Dug one up last night to check on them and it has split! I'm delighted. But it's still very small. The plants have rust so I keep removing badly affected leaves and hope for the best. Anything I could feed them with to help bulk them up in the last few weeks? They were planted in October.
                                Thanks

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X