Garlic?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Maccabee View Post
    Most Garlic in the supermarkets comes from Spain or Egypt, do they have cold spells (genuine question)?
    I've had a quick look at Spanish garlic, it seems to come mainly from Las Pedroņeras

and their special climate (I take that to mean not typically Spanish weather) looks similar to ours: Climate Diagrams - LAS PEDROERAS (ESP CUENCA)
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I planted "Marco" garlic last autumn as companion to my overwintering carrots.

the carrots are pathetic, but the garlic is fab and I'm looking forward to harvesting it as part of my Summer solstice celebrations next month!
      If the river hasn't reached the top of your step, DON'T PANIC!

Comment

This is my first time growing garlic and was told to plant it about October time and harvest it when the foilage is yellowing and withering. I planted it mid Oct and the first shoots appeared 4 or 5 weeks later and they have grown really well. Now the leaves are quite yellow, so does this mean I can harvest now? I'm so excited, as in our household we are all garlic mad!!
        If it comes from a plant, eat it. If it was made in a plant, don't!!

Comment

Originally posted by eirish View Post
          Depends on where in California - it's a big state. No cold winters in the southern coastal areas, but the eastern areas are drier and higher elevation, and thus have a much less temperate climate. And the north coast has a very similar climate to the UK (OH is from there, and gets fed up with people asking him why he would leave California to come here!).
          I'm afraid I'm one of the ones that hears California and immediately thinks Los Angeles In my defence I remembered her area as Southern California, and also in my defence, sometimes, I realoly don't know what I'm talking about even if I like ot think I do...where's that 'I'm an idiot' smiley?
          Last edited by taff; 19-05-2012, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Well you're not wrong in thinking Los Angeles. I'm about 2 hours away from there and in Southern California. It must be my accent you're picking up on. If we get any cold spells, it's usually at night and doesn't do much good for planting. Finding worthwhile fruits and veggies to plant here is a bit difficult sometimes! I think I'll give garlic a try this year and see what happens with it. We certainly eat enough of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Moo's Mum View Post
              the leaves are quite yellow, so does this mean I can harvest now?
              Rub the soil away from the garlic bulb: you should be able to see how big it is, and if it's separated into cloves yet (I'm not expecting mine until July, as this spring has been so cold & wet)

Comment

DD planted a sprouted garlic clove in a cup at uni (called it Fred ), put it in the fridge for a while , then onto her window sill. He grew very tall and lanky, then the top died down about the end of March and she thought it was a failure, but when she unearthed him there was just one new bulb. She said Fred made good garlic bread .
                Not sure this helps with the thread, maybe Fred didn't last long enough to make little Fredlettes.
                Last edited by BarleySugar; 20-05-2012, 11:04 AM.
                I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
                Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by taff View Post
                  I'm afraid I'm one of the ones that hears California and immediately thinks Los Angeles In my defence I remembered her area as Southern California, and also in my defence, sometimes, I realoly don't know what I'm talking about even if I like ot think I do...where's that 'I'm an idiot' smiley?
                  Aww, it's ok, that was meant only in an educational sense, not a "you idiot" sense! To be honest, most Americans would be worse at UK geography.

My sister-in-law in Colorado said in a recent email that she didn't know how growing things could work in the UK, what with the lack of sun. Ok, I know we're all wondering that ourselves this year , but it's still a country world-famous for its gardens!

Mato, seeing as Gilroy thinks they're the Garlic Capital of the World, I'd think it's worth a go for you.
                  March is the new winter.

Comment

My garlic has rust, its not split yet either, I didnt know it split later in the season, I thought it split in the winter, you learn something everyday...oh and hi again! lol
                    <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

The last time my wife bought garlic in Tesco it was from China. That's a good enough reason to try growing it myself!

Do people here just plant the cloves bought in the supermarket or do you get them from the garden centre? The latter is more expensive but would Chinese garlic (or Spanish, or Egyptian) grow here?

Comment

I bought originally (I think) years ago from Wilkinsons, very cheaply and since then I try to save some of my home grown harvested around June time to plant in November. That's if my daughter doesn't take it all! I did try some more expensive bulbs from somewhere one year, but didn't notice much difference in size or flavour. I think the problem with supermarket bought is that it's grown in a different climate to ours. Sorry to state the obvious there!
                        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

I grow garlic for a few reasons,firstly I like the stuff,Secondly im new to growing my own vegs and I have found it really easy to grow,And the there are loads of different types all with different tastes. This year i have planted it around where i have planted my carrots hopefully to rid the pesky carrot fly,so far alls looking hopefull. Personally I dont think its that cheap,still most veg aint at the supermarket.

Comment

Originally posted by rpt View Post
                            Do people here just plant the cloves bought in the supermarket ?
                            I do, yes, and it works very well (see pic)

I did once buy very expensive Isle of Wight seed garlic, and I've been gifted some on various occasions, and it's never done very well for me: waste of money

Comment

Originally posted by cptncrackoff View Post
                              My garlic has rust, its not split yet either, I didnt know it split later in the season, I thought it split in the winter, you learn something everyday...oh and hi again! lol
                              It starts to form the circles that widen and become the cloves around March time, but you don't see it splitting from the top like shallots do. They keep widening and are usually ready sometime on or after midsummer's day depending on when they were sown. Until about March, underground - they look a bit like leeks do, just layers.

Comment

I'm of the same mind as Zaz, plant in September/October, although I've only grown elephant garlic recently, saving the best cloves every year to plant on. This years plants, so far, have stems thicker than leeks so hopeful of some great bulbs

last years in pic below.
                                Attached Files
                                "We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses."-- Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X