Identify The Herb?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identify The Herb?

Can anyone identify the bigger herb second from the left?? It's from a 'mixed meditteranean' herb pack, that's all I know!

Could be a form of Rocket?
    I have a load of latin description if your botany is up to it!

Family Cruciferae, stem either glabrous or sparsely pubescent, leaves lyre-shaped, digiate-pinnate with dentate margins.

All of which adds up to a member of the carrot family - look for a long root, stem may be hairy, then again it may not! the leaves are lyre-shaped, toothed, with indented edges!

So..... that is about as clear as mud!

Good luck

Terry
    The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

Blimey Terry...."glabrous and sparsly pubescent?" sounds like it should be hanging out at a bustop in a hoody and drinking cider.

Comment

No, I don't think so.... the prickly edging on the leaves suggests not to me, but I can't help further to suggest what it could be. Sorry.....

Comment

Let it grow up a bit, then crush and sniff!
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Thanks, everyone Think I'll take Flummery's advice on the crush-and-sniff!
            The Latin is a bit much for me TPeers

Comment

Doesn't look like any form of rocket I know. How about sorrel? Tear a little of and nibble it. If it is a sorty of lemony peppery flavour then deffo sorrel. If so beware it has a tap root and can become a permanent feature. It is a rumex - ie related to dock.
              Bright Blessings
              Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulottie View Post
                Blimey Terry...."glabrous and sparsly pubescent?" sounds like it should be hanging out at a bustop in a hoody and drinking cider.

Doesn't look like sorrel to me. Mine has longer, more slender leaves. Brighter green too.
                Is it worth checking on-line from the suppliers - might say on there what the packet contains??
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Don't think it's sorrel. Sorrel has spear shaped leaves. My first thought was it's some kind of cabbage
                  Last edited by Alexx; 13-04-2007, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Could it be chicory? Don't know about seedlings, it just has that sort of feel about it.

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

definately not rocket, or any crucifer for that matter - the cotyledons are the wrong shape.

The bottom left and the one above that (LHS) look more like crucifer seedlings (just from the shape of the cotyledons).

It looks kind of 'thistle-y' but not sure what kind of herb that would be!
                      There's vegetable growing in the family, but I must be adopted
                      Happy Gardening!

Comment

it looks like some kind of lettuce to me...

Comment

Two more guesses....

Based on leaf shape: Bergamot? or Chicory?
                          Most closely resemble the picture in my Herb Book.

Comment

It looks a bit like a kind of field lettuce look at this pic

The closer to nature I become the more alive I am!

http://www.freakshoweb.com

Comment

Originally posted by Paulottie View Post
                              Doesn't it though! I apologise for all the impossible words - blame my Mum (a lovely lady) professional botanical artist!

And No, I can't draw! I'm more of a maths freak.

Good luck identifying your herb Sez - given it was sold as edible you could probably make the assumption that it will be and work on from there!

Terry
                              The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X