Lavender cuttings?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lavender cuttings?

I have a large, straggly but beautiful lavender. It really needs replacing but can I take cuttings from it?

You certainly can Herbs - taking lavender cuttings | How to | Projects | BBC Gardeners' World Good luck

Comment

Thanks for the link. I've tried over the years, but never had any success. I didn't realise tearing with the "heel" attached was the way to do it, I'd always cut straight across.

Comment

Take the heel, also make sure the potting compost is really gritty & free-draining, and don't use a cloche (I find lavender easier from seeds than cuttings, myself)
        Last edited by Two_Sheds; 21-06-2011, 06:58 AM.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I followed Toby's instructions after seeing it on GW towards the end of last year. I planted about 15-20 on a north facing wall, under a cold frame. I have 5-6 plants currently growing.
          A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Thanks for the link, will have ago with my french lavender

Comment

Funny you should ask. I am going to take some from my straggly lavender shortly. I went mad last week and made about 80 lavender bags to sell at our village show for the 'In Bloom' stall. (Bought the lavender) I thought I'd better get next year's crop under way and be self sufficient. My garage smells gorgeous, where the bunches are hung to dry. The most relaxed and tranquil garage in the village!
              Attached Files
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                Take the heel, also make sure the potting compost is really gritty & free-draining, and don't use a cloche (I find lavender easier from seeds than cuttings, myself)
                I've recently bought some seeds, I'll have a go at both methods. It's to replace our Hidcote which I let get a bit woody. To me, they're an "essential" plant for their look, smell and bee appeal.

Comment

Hi

I remember an episode of Gardeners World from a few years back when one of the presenters visited a family lavender farm in Norfolk ( i think). When the subject of pruning came up the presenter launched into the usual long winded explaination, however the old Matriarch stopped him dead (maybe 80- 90 ish)and told him to wait until its flowered and cut it hard and I mean hard. Stupidly he attempted to correct her but was put well into his place with a ' listen, I been doing this for more years then......' you can guess the rest.

I did this with mine and it really tightened the bush up so if you were thinking of digging it out anyway, maybe give it a try?

Dave
                  Fantasy reminds us that the soul is sane but the universe is wild and full of marvels

http://thefrontyardblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks Dave, but by the time I discovered that you should cut them back hard, it was too late. I've cut them as low as I can, which has rejuvinated them, but they're a bit woody at the base. Not bad enough to throw away, I'd still like a few more though.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X