Herbs - indoors or outdoors

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herbs - indoors or outdoors

There's a big strong rosemary bush already in my garden which looks like it's been there for years, and I'm wondering whether to plant other herbs outside next to it. I'm already growing in pots indoors:

Thyme
    Parsley
    Basil
    Chives
    Dill

Which of them are perennial and which are annual? I would like to move some of them permanently outside but don't want them to die over the winter, so any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Can only help with a couple, but Chives are annual, but you've got to cut them for eating before they flower, and I think Parsley is perennial (or bi-annual at the worst) and Basil is annual...

Hopefully someone can let you know about the rest!

Comment

Thyme and Chives are perennial (Sorry OWG), Parsley is bi-annual and Basil and Dill are annual. You need to keep cutting the Chives so that they produce nice succulent leaves and Thyme needs a good haircut or it will go woody and straggley. Clumps of Chives need to be split about every 4 years.

Hope this helps
      Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Thanks everyone - I'll put transplant the thyme and chives outside and will keep the dill and basil indoors then. Still undecided about the parsley.

Forgot to say that I'm also growing mint, but I'm definitely keeping that indoors cos everyone says it spreads and gets everywhere and I don't want the garden to be overtaken.

Comment

Originally posted by roitelet View Post
          Thyme and Chives are perennial (Sorry OWG), Parsley is bi-annual and Basil and Dill are annual. You need to keep cutting the Chives so that they produce nice succulent leaves and Thyme needs a good haircut or it will go woody and straggley. Clumps of Chives need to be split about every 4 years.

Hope this helps
          Bugger, I meant perennial....
          Last edited by OverWyreGrower; 27-03-2007, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X