Dill from cuttings?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dill from cuttings?

Has anyone tried growing dill from cuttings? Is it possible? I've failed to grow them from seeds and now would like to try an alternative method.

I've not had much success propagating true dill from cuttings. I've had to sow the seed or buy the plant itself. If I am not mistaken, the dill-look-alike plant called "Wormwood" is easily propagated via stem cuttings and used in Absinthe . Check whether yours is dill or wormwood. But I can't see any harm in trying, I'd pop it in some water like you would mint and see if it throws out some roots. Hope this helps
    Last edited by ginger ninger; 02-05-2011, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Dill is an annual herb which looks a bit like Fennel. The stems are not woody and I don't think it would root. It is easy to grow from seed and I would suggest that you get a fresh packet and sow it in open ground.

Best of luck
      Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

I had cut Dill, bought in a supermarket. As I didn't use it all at once, I tried to see if it would root in water. It lived for over a week, getting bushier, but no roots sadly. I've also tried it with hormone rooting powder, but no success there either.

I've recently bought a potted Dill from the garden centre, but it's looking quite leggy...is this normal, and if not, will regular cutting make it bushier? Anyone know?

Jules
        Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

Dill is an annual herb, cutting it will only chop off the middle of the plant. It may get bushier but will go to seed.
          Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X