Dying Bay Tree

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dying Bay Tree

My 3ft tall bay tree looks really sad at the moment with a lot of brown leaves with brittle branches all over. Thinking that it was a hardy plant, I didn't bother taking the plant into the house during our harsh winter months. And now I'm seriously regretting it! Could anyone with experience growing bay advice how I could possibly save/ revive this tree, pls?

Just leave it be, it will probably be find. Bay tends to get knocked back by cold winters.

Only real issue will be if the root ball was wet, and froze, during the cold spell. It may take all summer to recover, so don't be hasty to throw it out - but it may look a bit dishevelled for a while I'm afraid
    K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

If it has been as dry as here of late you will need to water it.

Comment

Ours was the same, and many others have got the same problems.

We cut it back hard and are looking for something to replace it; as we don't hold out much hope of survival.

Comment

Hard pruning may stimulate new growth but potted trees may well have had the rootball frozen too. They are usually fine in the garden if they are planted out in the soil. Good luck with it.
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
            Ours was the same,
            We cut it back hard
            Ditto,

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
            They are usually fine in the garden if they are planted out in the soil.
            About 30ft away from our potted one is my neighbours planted one & although the outer leaves are brown the inner is looking green & lush,so given that & Flummeries advice the next one will be in the soil
            He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Two of my customers' Bay trees have suffered this winter. One dead, the other is still green under the bark. Get a sharp knife and cut into the bark a little way. If there's green it should be OK. Don't take a chunk out, just lift a little flap, and push it closed again after you've had a look.
              All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
              Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Thks Kristen, I'm still hving high hopes that it turns around. Hope we will have more pleasant weather in the weeks/ months to come for it to recover!

Comment

Rana, will do! I've just topped up some compost and fertiliser for it too.

Comment

Glutton4,

Tht's a good idea. I will do that tomorrow first thing in the morning!

Comment

Flummery,

Would it help if I were to tip the root out to check on the rootball? And what should I do with it?

Comment

I'm lucky then, my bay has survived the prolonged cold snap and is looking green & healthy. It is in the ground, and relatively sheltered from cold winds
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

With it cold enough to shatter terracotta pots it is not surprising that some potted plants suffered in the cold spell.

Comment

My potted bay is looking a bit sad too, gave it a feed yestreday and will cut back the dead bits.
                            Would be very sorry to see it go, it sits by my back door (kitchen) and I often lean out to pick a leaf or two for the pot.
                            Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Is it better to cut back or to leave it? My mother-in-law has a small standard bay in a pot that has suffered from the frost (Derby/Nottingham area - very bad frosts - her kitchen also suffered due to burst pipes!). The stems feel flexible but ALL the leaves are brown. Should we prune back thoroughly or lightly or just leave it and hope?
                              many thanks!
                              S
                              Last edited by salilah; 03-04-2011, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse
                              • rary
                                Reply to Chitchat thread #24
                                by rary
                                Today, 12:41 PM
                              • rary
                                Reply to Heated mat for Tom's and chillies
                                by rary
                                I use a mix of six scoops of compost three scoops of sand/grit and two scoops of perlite,the quantity is unimportant as long as the ratio is the same, if for seeds I use this mix, if I am potting on I add some blood, fish and bone, along with a small quantity of chicken manure pellets
                                ​ though...
                                Today, 12:28 PM
                              • Florence Fennel
                                Reply to Chitchat thread #24
                                by Florence Fennel
                                Today, 12:02 PM

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X