No announcement yet.

Rosemary Pruning

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Rosemary is in a pot, and has been for about 6 years. It seems v. happy, despite being blown over every time the wind blows. I neglect it shamefully, forget to water it, don't notice it's taken a tumble, and it's still fine. It's not v. big, but big enough for us to snip bits for cooking and bbqs. I take cuttings periodically thinking I will need to replace it, and consequently I have about 3 plants at the moment, and am often giving cuttings away as I don't need them. I do keep it in the sunniest spot of the garden, that's my only concession to care of the poor thing.

Comment

I like your style Rustylady !

I've got two Rosemarys. One in the body of my Flowerpot man, (the prostrate variety) with a Lobelia richardii, and one in the only badly drained clay bit of the garden, between me and 'elderly next door' (neighbour), who grew it from a cutting for me, as a matter of fact. That particular bush is naturally, out of the two, much more vigorous and has many very upright growths.
      One of the things that you can do with these upright growths, is to let them get to a decent 'kebab stick' size and thickness, and then use them to skewer lamb/pepper/mushroom/aubergine kebabs. It really does infuse the meat beautifully, and prunes the Rosemary bush nicely at the same time....

Comment

I have a rosemary in a pot, which I also neglect, and consequently it's a runty little devil which deigns to put a shoot out occasionally, which I impatiently lop off to cook with.

Conversely, there is a MASSIVE rosemary in next door's garden which they don't touch at all which temptingly waves it's luscious growth over the 6' fence at me. It's even got flowers on at the moment.

I have not, as yet, given in to temptation to whip a few bits off whilst they are out, but it is only a matter of time.......
        Last edited by Hazel at the Hill; 01-03-2007, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Hazel, Neighbours can be your best friends (if you're lucky like wot we are!)
          and it would be a start if you were able to get to know them at all.?

We know we're lucky, and we do realise that not everyone else is in the same fortunate position, but it does get the old community spirit going if you can both take the time to get to know each other.
          Then you can nick their Rosemary knowing that you're friends.....?

Comment

Originally posted by wellie View Post
            Hazel, Neighbours can be your best friends .....?
            Quite agree, Wellie, and I couldn't have better neighbours on the one side - I look after their mogs when they are away, they act as a second larder for when I'm baking and have forgotten whatever etc etc - the other side are alright, but can be a bit, well, odd. Tell you about them one day!

Moral here though, is - cultivate your neighbours as well as your plants....

Comment

isnt one of the ten comandments do no cultivate your neighbours furrow? or am i getting confused?
              Yo an' Bob
              Walk lightly on the earth
              take only what you need
              give all you can
              and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

covet your neighbours oxen
                http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts