No announcement yet.

Unusual Herbs

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There isn't much variety if you just stick to the basic ones you can find in the shop - both lime and lemon basil are great in salads and with fish.

Comment

I hadnt heard of those ones - thanks Scarlet!

Comment

Originally posted by Catleigh View Post
        lol there is much more to herbs than just the 'normal' cooking ones!
        Yes I know, but we do tend to have the basics (and I missed out rosemary). I have successfully rooted french tarragon from a supermarket packet. I have also rooted a variety of mint that I got from Waitrose. which is very, very minty.

I do try to grow dill, basically because I would love to have a go at the scandinavian salmon dish gravadlax. I also try to grow lovage, and chervil. We have good king henry, which it a lovely substitute for spinach.

We tend to grow what we can use in cooking.

Last weekend I bought an angelica plant. Much as I love crystallised angelica, I can't think I shall be making the effort.

Where's the emoticons. I can't put a laff sign at the end of my post.

valmarg

Comment

I wouldn't say it's very unusual but chocolate mint is lurvly, it smells just like after eights
          http://seasonalfamilyrhythm.blogspot.co.uk/ - My new blog

Comment

Valmarg - I too love gravadlax and regularly make my own, in fact my dill is about 10" high already so reckon within a week or so I'll have enough for my first taste!

When is comes to 'unusual' herbs a couple of my favourites are sarriette (savory) and Vietnamese basil. As for Coriander, which I adore, I buy 100gram packs of seeds from Indian stores when I'm back in UK and plant those - so much cheaper than from a garden orientated place!

Comment

Why not try Jekka's Herb Farm. Her seeds are on the more expensive side, but her catalog is comprehensive. If you fancy a day out she has another open day at the end of the month.

http://www.jekkasherbfarm.com/pdfs/J..._Herb_List.pdf

Comment

Iden Croft Herbs have a very wide range!
                No connection other than googling (and then getting overenthusiastic and ordering a LOT!!)
                Only just ordered so no comments yet on quality - but £1.50 on average a pack, and free delivery, can't be bad!
                S

Comment

Hi,

Does any one know anout growing Menthi – Methi, Fenugreek Seeds (Indian Spice).

Would love to try.

LK
                  LK

Comment

I know you can buy packets of sprouting fenugreek seed, as I've bought some. I presume you would just let them keep growing.

valmarg

Comment

P.S. If you would like to try it, I've a packet of 250g, so could let you have 'some'.

valmarg

Comment

I've been trying to get around to papalo and quillquina but they got eaten to pieces by flea beetles of all things and I think cabbage white caterpillars! We cook a fair bit of food that needs unusual herbs though, so am very keen to get a dedicated herb garden sorted out next year rather than just a few that I get around to in pots. Will have to make a list - loads of ones on this thread alone that I haven't grown or even tried yet!

Am going to sort my mints out this year as well and actually use some for more than just smelling. Got apple, pineapple, chocolate, apple, peppermint and spearmint, and hoping to get grapefruit mint next time I see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Printemps View Post
                          Valmarg - I too love gravadlax and regularly make my own, in fact my dill is about 10" high already so reckon within a week or so I'll have enough for my first taste!
                          !
                          Oh used to regularly go to Scandinavia on business with the company he worked for. He sometimes brought gravadlax back from his trips, but it is something I have always wanted to try.

The only gravadlax I have eaten so far has been what OH brought back from his business trips or 'shop bought'. I think I sowed the Dill far too late last year, but am going to give it 'best shot' this year.

valmarg

Comment

I'd suggest Lovage, or 'Perpetual Celery' [Levisticum officinale] which gradually forms a big tber from which it re-grows each year after flowering and seeding. It smells and tastes like celery and is useful for flavouring soups, stews and gravies.

Mine reached 10ft tall here in SW France last year, gave over 1 lb of seed which when crushed lightly we put in savoury rice,bread mixes or dumplings and we chop the small newer leaves into salads. The excess seeds are readily taken by the birds.

See Lovage

Doug

Comment

I wouldn't be without our Lovage, it's delicious.

I also use Lavender with lamb, and in with roast vegetables, it's got a slightly richer taste than Rosemary - which doesn't like our garden.

Comment

I've already got my Lovages, and the like, but, it is so lovely to read of other people's passions about herbs when you have a similar passion yourself, and I yet haven't treated myself to a day out at Jekka's Herb place, which I should, because it's only 'over the bridge' from Trousers and I here at The Funny Farm, but making the time to do it is important, and I'm happy to set aside time if any of you are to visit her?

I wish I had sufficient room to grow every herb that I love, but actually, I've just had a brilliant idea (front garden full of roses, and bu@@er-all the rest of the summer...bathed in sunshine ....? Food for Thought...)

I've dedicated space newly this year in my Funny Farm Kitchen Garden to my French Sorrel, Chervil, Angelica and Lemon Balm, needing to replace my Lemon Verbena, but I'd love to grow Caraway for it's seed, if that's possible. Amazing taste....
                                Excellent Thread here, if I might be so bold to say so.X

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X