lovage from seed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lovage from seed

whats the best way of growing lovage from seed,do i have to put the seeds into our frezzer for 24 hours before sowing how have ye started lovage from seed
    regards nemo
    one years weed is seven years seed

I've never grown Lovage before so I had a little Google and came up with this. And there's one where you can see what to cook when you've grown it. Apparently it's a very old herb and has long been used for medicinal purposes, also used as a diuretic. In homes many years ago, lovage was placed in bowls around the house to freshen the air.

I might grow some myself this year .

How to Grow Lovage | eHow.com

How to Use Lovage in Cooking | eHow.com

Comment

I sowed Lovage last year for the castle gardens that I work at on Saturdays - it wasn't particularly fast to germinate but not difficult. I kept it in a large terracotta pot over the winter but will plant it out this Spring - probably in the Courtyard Gardens now that I have got them all cleared, weeded and dug over. Think it will probably go in adjacent to the Fennel as both will put on a lot of growth in a season.
      Rat

British by birth
      Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
      http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'll be able to give you an answer later in the year.A few years ago I was given lovage by my friend(plant).It seemed to be quite happy for 1 year then disappeared and appeared again.Goodness knows what it's going to do this year.
        Last year I started lovage from seed(collected from the plant above),got a few stalks but not too big.Seeds weren't in the fridge or freezer.

Comment

i overwintered my lovage seedlings - about 4 inch tall grown from seed in sept and its just started to get new growth so i took out the old and yellowing leaves and hope to get a croppable plant.
          p

Comment

I have sown some seeds and did not freeze them. I have loveage leaves mixed in with herb salad, other thn salad I have no idea how else they can be eaten?

Comment

in soups, basically anything you use celery for, you can use lovage for.
              I sowed some last year, they died back over winter and have now re-appeared.

Comment

For flavouring stock,stews and casseroles.

Comment

Lovage does particularly wonderful things to legs of Lamb: I slit the skin and stuff leaves all over the Sunday Roast

Agree, a few leaves are also brilliant in a salad

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X