herbs in hanging baskets

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• herbs in hanging baskets

Ive got a new 16" hanging basket...I want to grow herbs to hang outside near my back door. Wht herbs would be suitable and how many?

I think you will find it difficult to successfully grow herbs in a hanging basket.

Perennials such as mint, chives, etc willl soon take over the basket.

Annuals such as basil will struggle for space.

It wouldn't be something I would try.

valmarg

Comment

They do well in pots though - all of them bar the deep rooters (sorrel etc) do well in pots

Hanging baskets - I tried lettuce in them last year, but they weren't great (out-competed by the flowers I had in there too)
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Sorry cookygirl to have been so negative. Herbs are best grown either in the garden or in pots on the windowledge.

There are quite a few tomatoes available that can be grown in baskets, also strawberries, but you would need to net against blackbirds.

valmarg

Comment

I grow most of my herbs in pots outside by the backdoor. I do grow some tomatoes in hanging baskets and have put dwarf mange tout in them in the past also.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I grew corriander and basil in hanging baskets last year...the baskets were the triangle deep pointed type so there was deep root room...and they coped fine hanging outside the backdoor.

Comment

after clearing my hanging basket of tomatoes last autumn, it seemed a waste to leave it empty all winter. so i replanted it with tyme, sage and rosemary ( and some pansys for a bit of colour). it was a bit of an experiment really so i wasnt sure if it would work but they survived all winter and are still going strong. they kept my supplied with fresh herbs all winter.
              http://pot-to-plot.blogspot.com/ My brand spanking new plot

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X