rosemary dying branches

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rosemary dying branches

my rosemary has suffered this winter. lots of brown branches. i've taken 4 cuttings to try and save it and cut out all the dead stuff from the parent plant. any thoughts what might be the cause please.
    p
    Last edited by eospete; 12-02-2011, 03:49 PM.

It is a Mediterranean plant - so I guess it was the cold and wet this winter.
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Yes I agree with Jeanied - it's the cold. I have always done well with rosemary but the last two winters I have lost several bushes

Comment

Agreed....frost. When we lived in Teesdale I had a lovely rosemary bush then one winter the frost was down to -12 and that killed it.

When I moved to Cumbria I thought it would be milder but the last two winters have seen low temps of -15 and -16 so I'm not going to bother with rosemary outside. I'm going to grow some in a big pot this year and bring it indoors in the cold weather. With a bit of luck that should solve the problem.

see what I've been up to:
        the recycled gardener

Comment

They don't like to be in a windy place either. I lost plants from a bed that had the wind sweeping over it. The others were fine planted in a more sheltered spot. Been an evil winter though!
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

My rosemary has died too, it was my first rosemary plant so dont have much experience with them (or with anything else for that matter as i'm new to all this lol), would they normally survive a winter in the UK?

Comment

Our rosemary is looking decidedly under the weather. We're not giving up on it just yet, as there are still some green bits.

valmarg

Comment

They don't take kindly to being cut back into old wood though. I may need to replace mine I think.
                Nat 22 usually they will be ok with a normal winter - but these days it seems we have really hard winters with freezing temperatures for weeks on end and cold wet weather - they hate that.
                You could always protect the pot with fleece.
                Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
                  They don't take kindly to being cut back into old wood though. I may need to replace mine I think.
                  Nat 22 usually they will be ok with a normal winter - but these days it seems we have really hard winters with freezing temperatures for weeks on end and cold wet weather - they hate that.
                  You could always protect the pot with fleece.
                  Thanks, i will do that next winter

Comment

I'm hoping I can rescue my rosemary, it's taken an awful bashing from the wind and cold. It's in a big pot, but I'm afraid I forgot about it!
                    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Bad mummy Florence!
                      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

i'm sorta glad it isn't because of me then. even my humble makeshift cold frame wasn't enough to protect it. mind you a week under -10 is quite exceptional even for blackburn. p

Comment

I lost the 4 little ones I had started from seed I have had a really bad time also with my standard Bay tree too I got very depressed over that one because its about £85 to replace that size I had put a fleece around it but not very well when the windy blizzards sleet snow and rain hit then froze in fact the fleeces are wrecked okay it was stuff from Poundland but boy did they take a pounding oh well I must learn by this
                          So no you are not on your own !

Comment

Hi

One other possibility you may or may not wish to entertain is ' Do you have a new Tom cat in the neighbourhood'

That stuff is like Hydrochloric acid.

My bush has had two years on the bounce now of temps below -15c with no visible signs of harm?

Dave
                            Fantasy reminds us that the soul is sane but the universe is wild and full of marvels

http://thefrontyardblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

3 plants all RIP!
                              Mad Old Bat With Attitude.

I tried jogging, but I couldn't keep the ice in my glass.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X