Lavender

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marketestalls View Post
    I was wondering if I could use the lavender out of the garden instead of lavender water. Are some varieties poisonous?
    There is a herb called Santolina which is also known as 'Lavender Cotton' or 'Cotton Lavender' which shouldn't be confused with the real lavendar varieties. Santolina is often grown in herb gardens and is very attractive, but I don't think it has a culinary use, though I'm not sure if it is actually poisonous. According to Culpeper it can be used as a moth repellent though! Just thought it might be worth mentioning...
    All at once I hear your voice
    And time just slips away
    Bonnie Raitt

Comment

Depends on how you define poisonous muckdiva. The only toxicity info I have is on the essential oil which describes it as probably toxic and neurotoxic. It contains artemisia ketone which is a powerful irritant found also in things like wormwood and mugwort. So while it may make a nice potpourri or incense I would err on the side of caution and not use if for cooking.

Lavandin on the other hand although higher in camphor (irritant but good for respiratory problems) than normal lavender would probably be ok as would Lavandula stoechas (usually french - butterfly heads etc.)

However I don't think they would taste as nice.
      Bright Blessings
      Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X