Herb Teas

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herb Teas

I'd like to try growing herbs for making teas. Commercial mint tea is made with peppermint, so i would guess that is better than the other types. I heard mint can be disappointing when dried to make tea, can it be used fresh? Do camomile flowers have to be dried & or chopped for tea use?

As far as I'm concerned all best used fresh, and that goes for nettles and lemon balm.
    The law will hang the man or woman
    Who steals the goose from off the common
    But lets the greater thief go loose
    Who steals the common from the goose
    http://johntygreentoes.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hello mushroom...and welcome to the Vine!!
      We are very interested in what you have to say about herbal teas....I think both fresh and dried are both good from my experiences, although there are a few grapes who know more about this subject than I do!!
      We are very interested to here your ideas/experiences!!
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hello Mushroom and welcome.

I grew peppermint last year and froze some sprigs which have made very good herb tea with a fresh taste The inly thing is that it takes up a lot of room in the freezer so I am going to have to think of a different way of freezing it next time.

I suppose you could try growing a bit in a pot for the winter.
        Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

If you like a drop of Earl Grey, grow Bergamot!! Its a wonderful herb with beautiful flowers.

All I did last year was put a few leaves in with a tea bag in a mug, add boiling water and Wallah! Instant refreshing Earl Grey!

It's the first herb I'm going to stick in my herb wheel at the allotment! My only worry is that I will finish up like Nic, supping tea all day and get nowt done!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Mushroom View Post
            I'd like to try growing herbs for making teas. Commercial mint tea is made with peppermint....
            My OH recommends growing 'Black peppermint' for drinking - very nice.
            Last edited by smallblueplanet; 04-03-2007, 10:19 AM.
            To see a world in a grain of sand
            And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Hi mushroom and welcome to the vine (or madhouse). They can be used both fresh and dried. I would stick to fresh with anything hardy e.g. sage, thyme, rosemary and explore the options with the tender stuff. As suggested you could freeze, dry or pot up for overwintering indoors. You could also try fennel which is usually made from the dried seeds. One plant should provide most of your needs.

When things are available fresh best to use them that way and capture the best the plant can provide.
              Bright Blessings
              Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Water mint makes a fantastic tea and field mint is also worth a try.

Comment

Just how do you make a herb tea? Fresh leaves - left whole or chopped? Hot water or warm water? How long do you infuse it for? Do you mash them to get all the flavour out? Add honey? I haven't got a clue!!!
                  [

Comment

I tend to leave the leaves (ha!ha!) whole, pour on boiling water and leave to steep for at least 5 mins, although it is often more like 10. I never mash them. You can honey if you want depending on taste.

In other words I make a herb tea as I would leaf tea.

How does that sound LJ, I find it best to keep these things simple.
                    Bright Blessings
                    Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Hi,
                      i have been preparing herbal infusions for many years now, mainly for medicinal purposes but also for tasty teas. Many, many lovely herbs grow naturally in abundence all over the country and this is one of my main passions.
                      I mainly pick the herbs in the spring and summer and tend to use the active ingredient (leaves, flowers, roots etc) fresh in the summer. I dry a good half of what i have picked using the heat of the sun and by covering them with dry newspaper, i store them in jars for the winter months, alternatively tinctures can easily be made and stored in bottles for several months.

I make the infusions by pouring on hot (but not boiling water) and leaving to infuse for a few minutes then strain and sweeten to taste.
                      Last edited by Wendy; 05-03-2007, 05:16 PM.
                      The closer to nature I become the more alive I am!

http://www.freakshoweb.com

Comment

That's smashing Earthbabe. Thanks!
                        [

Comment

wow for the replies folks.

Freezing is a great idea for winter instead of drying!

I like the idea of mints, lemon balm and nettle leaves and camomile flowers- i think sage, rosemary & thyme may be an aquired taste though but an interesting thought!

Anyone heard of or tried any other types of leaves or flowers that are brewable that don't taste too way out? for instance I've seen blackberry leaves in tea ingredients lists.
                          Last edited by Mushroom; 07-03-2007, 11:25 PM.

Comment

raspberry leaves are good too, but need mixing eith somthing else to add flavor, try raspberry leaves and peppermint.
                            Yo an' Bob
                            Walk lightly on the earth
                            take only what you need
                            give all you can
                            and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

Hi Mushroom and welcome too. I can't add much to the other grapes'comments, except to suggest that you don't chop the chamomile flowers or you can get horrible 'bits' between your teeth!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X