propagating mint

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• propagating mint

I know how invasive mint is and was wondering if it would be possible to grow more pots of mint by simply putting a piece of mint root in a pot of compost? Or is there more to it than that?
    Hill of Beans updated April 18th

Nope, that's all there is to it.

Or, root some stem cuttings in water, like you do fuchsias
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Don't forget that most mints die down in the autumn so it won't have much chance to get going if you plant it now but it will still probably come back in the spring.

Comment

I cut back my pots of mint, tip the whole thing out of the pot and cut it into about four sections. Pull out the dead bits and repot in fresh compost - one section per pot. Four new pots of mint for the price of one as it were.
        Last edited by rustylady; 13-09-2010, 06:14 AM.

Comment

I want to do it to be able to sell the pots of mint in a school plant sale (late May/early June). If I break up 1 pot of mint into a few more, how long should I give it before it perks back up and is sellable?
          Hill of Beans updated April 18th

Comment

I would think they will spring back to life in April & with luck you should be able to get some more root cuttings sprouting by June.
            You can also cut off the tips , root them in water & plant them. This will make the original plants bushier.
            If you have Lidl's near you buy a pot of chives in April .
            They are enormous & by splitting them you will probably get 8 plants by June.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X