Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fenugreek

is my new favourite herb to grow.

I had a load in the bottom of one of the seed parcels loose, so decided to sow it en masse.

The smell from the seed was heavenly.

Of the sowings, the plants have flowered and have really long pods on them which will obviously produce more seed.

I just wanted to share the enjoyment of discovering new herbs!

I can't wait to crack one open and sniff the fresh seed......and cook a curry!

Something I've never thought of growing, but yes a great smell and great in curries
    What would Delia do?

Comment

*bump*

I found some of these seeds (that GN had sent me, and I didn't even realise!) Not sure if it's too late, but I sowed them a few days ago. They've all germianted (literally scattered some in a 3" pot to see what'd happen).

erm, yeah, no idea what it is like the seeds look cool though. I've read about it being used as a green manure and the seeds and leaves are edible.

What do you do to the seeds to cook a curry? Just grind them down to a powder?

cheers 8)

Comment

I forgot to ask on Sunday but is it an annual. How do you treat yours and its best position to be planted, full sun etc.

Cheers

Dave
        Last edited by dave_norm_smith; 13-05-2011, 12:25 PM.
        Fantasy reminds us that the soul is sane but the universe is wild and full of marvels

http://thefrontyardblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Dave you can pick the seed pods when they turn yellow. Lay the pods in a sunny spot, on newspaper or in paper bags until they're completely dry. Then break them open and save the seeds.
          They'll grow in most soils, but prefers humus rich, well drained soils in an open sunny position as with most herbs they come from dryer climates. To cook with them...all I do is grind them down to a powder and us.

A little bit more info for ya all....

"Fenugreek is a versatile herb that is most known for its seasoning in Indian cuisine. It's an easy-to-grow herb that can be ready to sprinkle in salads in just a few days, or it can be harvested for its seeds in about two months. Fenugreek isn't only useful in the kitchen, but is prized for its medicinal qualities; it is used to treat a number of maladies, including sore throats, stomach upsets, diabetes and high cholesterol. Small amounts used in cooking are generally safe but do not take internally in medicinal doses during pregnancy. A poultice made from the ground seed can be used to ease the pain and inflammation of gout. It can also be used with inflammatory skin conditions, such as boils and acne." Hope this helps

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X