Herbs bolting

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herbs bolting

In our herb patch we have Sage, Thyme, Oregano, Golden Marjoram and Lemon Balm. All are bolting. Does this affect the flavour of the leaves? I seem to recall that Rocket becomes inedible but am unsure about herbs. I intended to prune back as we have a lot of the summer togo, but my OH wonders if this is necessary.
    Thanks in advance for your opinions.
    Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

They aren't necessarily bolting, but flowering. It's what they do in the summer.

Just trim them back. They will be fine.

Comment

Herbs do flower, but as they are usually perennial (permanent) this is not bolting which is a term used for vegetables which once they have produced seed are unusable. If you don't want the flowers, then just cut them off. The leaves will still be perfectly OK to use.

Comment

Many thanks, Ladies.
        Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

does this apply to coriander too?
          ta muchly.x
          sophie.x

http://www.dressedupdigger.blogspot.com/

Comment

coriander isn;t perennial. I gave up growing it becuse it just goes so quickly to flower

Comment

Originally posted by baby_blue View Post
              does this apply to coriander too?
              ta muchly.x
              Coriander just goes straight to seed for me............which isn't a bad thing because I love the seeds but can't even abide the smell of the leaves!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                Coriander just goes straight to seed for me............which isn't a bad thing because I love the seeds but can't even abide the smell of the leaves!
                Same here.Love the ground coriander,hate the green one.Never got-round-tuit growing it though,don't know why
                Last edited by coreopsis; 13-06-2010, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X