lavender question

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow grannymem, thats a good article.

I used Mustead and I am pretty sure they all came up. Hard to count now they are bigger. They vary from 1cm to 6cm tall now after about a month of growing. I just sprinkled them on the surface and didn't cover them over as my potting compost is a bit to bulky I thought.
    They are in a southish facing window in 5 pots. So I am thinking I will need to pot them on for their welfare soon. The pack says they should be transplanted when large enough to handle, into trays 5cm apart. Your article says Those seeds that do sprout will take one to three months before they have enough roots and top growth to allow successful transplanting. So I suppose in the next few weeks would be ok.

They already smell delightfully of lavender (duh, obviously, I would be quite shocked if they smelled of tomato )

I am not so worried about having a 'perfect' hedge - nothing in my life is perfect anyway, least of all my allotment and gardens, haphazard is my middle name, so that is not an issue for me. I just want a nice border of some sort between me and my lottie neighbour and this will be good for the insects and other wildlife too, so it fits the bill. I will also get some nice pot pourri out of them.
    Time is not an issue either, I am happy to wait.
    The scary part will be putting them out on the plot, worrying that they will get munched by something, or dry out, so I will have to try and time it so that they are not too dry or too hot or too cold. Oh I do worry about my babies.

Thanks for all the replies folks, I knew I could depend on you.
    Will post an update when there is anything to report, and for those in the future who may search on lavender.
    I do love this site.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

I've just received these 24 teeny weeny lavender plugs from Thompson and Morgan (pound coin for size)...think it was around £3 as one of those 'add on' deals when you're at the checkout. Despite their size they've got good roots, and I've just potted them on into individual pots.

I've never really bothered with lavender before, or ever received such tiny plug plants, so am quite intrigued to see if and when these develop into good plants.
      Attached Files

Comment

I've had some of those too - last year and this year - also some from another supplier. Keep an eye on the watering as they seem to die off quite easily. I've lost a few that just died off.
        Some of last years are putting on size now.

Comment

I received some like that this year but in a perennial collection . I even went as far as splitting them into singles (quite a few mini plugs had more that one seedling) before potting on and they are fairing quite well.

Edit: Mine are dwarf munstead which I have grown for years (originally from a 10p pack of seed) and have found it a really hardy variety.
          Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 03-06-2017, 11:09 AM.

Comment

I started these in January from seed,they started off thin,pinching the tips has made a few of them bushy,a couple of them look like they prefer to remain small?
            Attached Files

Comment

I've bought lavender pots in the past and they always died within weeks. Do lavenders need lots of Sun?

Comment

Faughan, yes they like the sun but they need good drainage more than anything else or they will rot.

And when your back stops aching,
                And your hands begin to harden.
                You will find yourself a partner,
                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
                  I started these in January from seed,they started off thin,pinching the tips has made a few of them bushy,a couple of them look like they prefer to remain small?
                  I went to my local garden centre and HB and the plants were very expensive, so I bought a packed of Lavender seeds instead. I'll give them a go next spring.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X