Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easiest Herb to Grow

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me that which herb is the best to grow as I dont have practise of growing herbs. Can someone tell me what kind of herb will be grown all time and it also be good to use. I got some variety of herbs in a site and tell me one among the list. Please tell me which herbs among these can i grow. Please help me at the earliest.

Humpty number of thanks,
    Theja....
    Last edited by Lesley Jay; 12-02-2007, 11:37 AM.

Hi theja, welcome to the vine.

Could you give just a little more infirmation as to the type of soil you have, the area you are growing in and the position of the site where you hope to grow your herbs.

Look forward to hearing from you and I am sure that someone will be able to advise you.
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Hi Theja, nice to meet you. Hope you enjoy the vine.

As far as growing herbs, well.... First of all, are you growing in soil or containers? Whereabouts are you? -weather can make it a bit difficult.

Generally speaking, in my experience (limited) you should find that you can't go far wrong with mint, it seems to thrive everywhere; chives are fairly easy to keep too. Coriander seems to grow happily during Summer but parsley can be a bit temperamental (legend says it shoud be grown by the boss of the family). Thyme, rosemary, and dill, will grow; fennel is a large plant and not really for small areas.
      Basil, tarragon and oregano are Mediterranean herbs, so not guaranteed in UK, but are possible with a little care.
      Hope that helps a bit.
      Some of the others will be along with more advice (and corrections) later.

Comment

Without doubt, the best herb to grow is the one you'll use most of.
        Mint will grow anywhere, but will you eat it? I get thru loads of Parsley (well, the guinea pigs do) and Chives, so I have lots of them. Lemon Balm (Melissa) too, which is lovely made into a 'tea'
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Warning, plant mint in pots, it's very invasive and is a bully. Depending on your soil, parsley grows well, as does coriander in the summer. I suggest that you try and get a bay tree in, they get away in a good sheltered corner, preferably south facing. Good King Henry also grows well (it's a type of spinach but is classed as a herb), oregano and marjoram are also tough. Rosemary can be a problem, and is best bought as a small plant and grown in a pot.
          Best wishes
          Andrewo
          Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
            Without doubt, the best herb to grow is the one you'll use most of.
            Mint will grow anywhere, but will you eat it? I get thru loads of Parsley (well, the guinea pigs do) and Chives, so I have lots of them. Lemon Balm (Melissa) too, which is lovely made into a 'tea'
            Hi Two Sheds

How do you make your lemon balm tea?? I've just bought a lemon balm plant cos it smelled so lovely, and have been wondering what uses there night be for it.

Cheers

Sarah

Comment

Hi Muddy Sarah

Literally put leaves in cup or pot and add water would be my choice, then adjust to taste. You can add honey or sweetening of your choice if you wish. I make sage tea in exactly the same way when I have a cough, cold or sore throat.

You could also chop some and add to scones or cake for a different way to flavour, or add to the butter icing.
              Bright Blessings
              Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

lemon balm tea is good for headaches (curing not creating!!)

Comment

Rosemary I've always found has grown well...also lavender, we moved a plant from the front garden to the back and it's flourished and got some nice flower stems on which I'll pick to make things.

Fennel is another easy grower as is fever few. Oh and some oregano.

However I would tend to start with what you're going to use and go from there. Got some herbs planted which I'll probably never use but luckily have the space to grow them anyway.
                  Rachel

Trying to tame the mad thing called a garden and getting there I think!

My Garden Mayhem...inspirational blog for me I hope! - updated 16/04/09

Comment

Lemon balm is a good mosquito / tick repellant - i use the leaves directly on the skin. It's a really invasive plant though, like mint, so careful it doesn't take over.

Thyme and rosemary grow really well (for me) but I have a problem getting parsley to take off and basil doesn't like damp and draughts - who does ; )
                    http://www.greenlung.blogspot.com
                    http://www.myspace.com/rolandfrompoland

Comment

I have never had a problem with Rosemary and Thyme they both live together in a large pot in the garden.

Never had to tend to them either they just live happily ever after and I take cuttings regularly to sprinkle over the Sunday roast.
                      Stout hearts, strength and honour.

Comment

Rather than sprinkle Fezinio, why not try inserting small springs into the meat alongside garlic in little holes poked in with a sharp knife. Especially good with lamb, but also pork. For chicken whizz some up with some olive oil (or butter if preferred) and stuff under the skin that you have lifted away from the flesh.
                        Last edited by Earthbabe; 18-02-2007, 06:27 PM. Reason: further thoughts
                        Bright Blessings
                        Earthbabe

Comment

easiest herb to grow mint..........hardest herb to control mint

Comment

EB

Absolutely sublime, yes thats the best way to have them Believe it or not Pork,Chicken then lamb are my favourite (in that order)

Don't know why but not a beef lover no more (shame as I'm very pro Britain)
                            Stout hearts, strength and honour.

Comment

To really enjoy beef it must be good, well reared and fed etc. The best beef we've ever had was bought at the Farmer's market in Winchester. Nuff said really.
                              Bright Blessings
                              Earthbabe

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X