What am I doing wrong ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What am I doing wrong ?

This year I am having a devil of a time growing herbs. So far I have tried lime basil, sweet basil, tarragon,chervil and lovage. They have either shown zero signs of germination or a few seedlings have germinated and then died off a couple of days later. They are all fresh seed, fresh compost and I used a heated propagator and as soon as they have shown signs of life I move them to an un heated propagator. Think I will have to buy plants at this rate

Firstly - stop using a heated propagator.

Secondly, I find leafy crops usually germinate but little slugs get there before you do - so get some good organic slug pellets on the top of the soil as soon as you sow.

Thirdly, some herbs are very very slow. They drive you mad waiting, and some years one or two just will not grow. Don't beat yourself up about it - sow a pinch every few weeks and maybe, just maybe, you'll get a good pot or two to use. Last year I could NOT get coriander to grow; but this year it's up already.

Comment

Maybe too much of a shock moving them when they are still little from heat to no heat?
      Mine are taking a long time but are showing signs of life eventually.
      I am sure someone who knows better than me will be able to help

Comment

I have lost basil seedlings to damping off very easily - so you need to water with tap water not rainwater and make sure you sow with quite a space between seeds.
        Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

overwatering?
          Elsie

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I will try again. Normally my basil seedlings grow like weeds and I have too many of them. As for the others, I will be patient and not expect germination within a week

Comment

Yep - no heated prop. Try some Marjoram to be going on with? That seems to spring up fairly easily.

I've had some luck with coriander too this year - but with no special treatment!

And don't be bovved if you have to buy a couple of plants...I potted a greek basil that I bought from Sainsburys. It's a fab plant and grows as quickly as I use it. I keep it in a large pot with other soft herbs growing around it (said coriander, and lemon grass). I'm not ashamed.
              I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

I'm growing two types of basil, one of oregano, coriander and trying to grow chives. I say trying because they either don't germinate or grow to about three cm and then die. I've tried twice, I'm now trying with another packet and then I'm giving up with chives.

My other ones are fine though.

Comment

I'm convinced many people cook their seeds. I've never used a heated propagator and I can get most things going - even very early sowings of toms and chillies.
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I put my herbs seeds (basil, lime basil, thyme, coriander, parsley and chervil) in big pots filled with new compost straight on the lottie about two weeks ago, when I checked at the weekend they were all showing signs of life.
                    Bex

Comment

My coriander and basil are coming up happily in the cold greenhouse.
                      Mad Old Bat With Attitude.

I tried jogging, but I couldn't keep the ice in my glass.

Comment

On Guernsey you should not need a propagator now. Even here in the semi-frozen North most of my herbs are now outside. The only ones that aren't are the 2 basils and they are in the cold frame open during the day. Even the coriander is now sitting open to the elements. You can spoil them you know.
                        Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
                        >
                        >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X