Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using stinging nettles against hay fever

Hi,

Coming to that time of year again were I need to start thinking about taking some antihistamines. I've been researching online about possible herbal remedies, when I came along using stinging nettle. Has anyone tried using stinging nettle (in whatever form) to help with hay fever?

Steven
    http://www.geocities.com/nerobot/Bir...shingThumb.jpg

Stinging Nettles

Hello
    Using stinging nettles to help hayfever is correct depending on how severe your hayfever is. Research suggests that the freeze dried product has a "moderate ability to reduce allergic reaction and reduce symptoms of seasonal allergies (Mittmann 1990)."
    More traditionally nettles are used for anti-inflammatory reasons rather than hypersenstitivity issues.
    It is the stinging hairs which contain amines (histomine (for allergies), serotonin (for happiness) and acetylcholiine (a neurotransmitter), formic acid (the stinging bit!)).
    Its contraindications are to avoid using the leaf in people with hemochromatosis (a genetic disease which is shown by excessive absorption and accummulation of iron in the blood) and hyperkalemia (an excessive amount of potassium in the blood).
    Side effects: rash and blisters when in contact with plant, sometimes lasting up to 12 hours, the nettle root can cause nausea or vomiting and is best taken with food and a study in 1992 by Roman etc found that nettles may raise glucose serum levels.
    Hope this helps. Although I can't say myself if it works as I fortunately don't suffer from allergies.
    It is always good practice to visit a qualified herbalist if you are interested in taking herbal remedies.
    Regards
    JBM

Ref:
    1. Winston & Kuhn; "Herbal Therapy and Supplements", Wolters Kluwer 2008
    2. Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary.
    3. Mittman, P.; "Randomized, double-blind study of freeze-dried Urtica dioica in the treatment of allergic rhinitis", PubMed.gov 1990

Comment

Have a look here
      aka
      Suzie

Comment

Good morning JBM and welcome to the vine. Yes nettles contain histamine, for allergies (if you are a homeopathic pratitioner). Histamines are actually one of the causes of allergic reactions which is why if you go to a conventional doctor with an allergic reaction he will prescribe anti-histamine in tablet or cream form.

I'm afraid that I am not one of those people who believe, in general, in treating with 'like with like' homeopathic remedies. There is no scientific evidence at all that they work and it's rather like the view that if somebody is badly bleeding you apply leeches because their saliva contains a coagulant. By the time it starts to work you have bled to death.

I am in full agreement with the current BMA proper investigation that is going on into homeopathy. So far all we have to go on are homeopathic practitioners and herbalists word that it works. Oh and Prince Charles'. No real clinical investigation has ever been done.

I can accept that nettle tea may work in some very mild cases, but that is possibly the chamomile in it, which has accepted anti-inflamatory qualities, rather than the nettles which contain histamine. One of the very causes of allergic reaction.
        Last edited by sarraceniac; 30-04-2010, 08:41 AM.
        Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
        >
        >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

jbm.....very interesting! Thanks

...and welcome to the Vine- looking forward to your future posts!
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hi, this was one of the remedies the guy did on Grow Your Own Drugs this week. The two people who used it said they had noticed a difference. See what you think...

Nettle & Chamomile Tea for Hay Fever

2-3 tbsp fresh nettles, or 1-2 tbsp dried
            4 tsp fresh German chamomile (Matricaria recutita) or 2 tsp dried
            1 tsp locally produced honey, to taste

1. Wash the fresh nettles well, then chop roughly with a large knife. Put the nettles, stalks and all, and chamomile into a glass teapot. Pour boiling water over and leave to steep for 5 minutes - this will also take the sting out of the nettles.

2. Strain into a tea cup and serve, adding 1 teaspoon of local honey, or to taste. This makes a pot equivalent to 3 cups.

USE: Drink 3 cups a day while suffering from hay fever, for as long as you need it.

STORAGE: Make fresh as you need it.

Comment

I believe there is a middle ground needed. I believe that in normal everyday life there is no need for modern medicine and that simple natural remedies will suffice, however, I also believe that there are some things that a natural remedy will not be as useful or even help and that is time for modern medicine to step in. I think the problem is that the majority of people are so addicted to using tablets and chemicals that it is affecting their immune systems.
              http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jamiesjourney

Please give blood and if possible please give bone marrow.

SAVE LIVES TODAY

Subscriber to the mojo mailing list

Comment

Stringing nettle has many different uses and is one of the most effective natural remedies for hay fever. It contains vitamins C and K, has immune-boosting proteins and an anti-inflammatory agent called scopoletin. Stinging nettle has long been a traditional remedy for eliminating mucus, treating coughs, relieving chest congestion and causing an antihistamine effect. This remedy actually works best when used according to instructions for a couple weeks or a month before allergy season but it still works well if you already have hay fever as well.
                Last edited by margie; 02-02-2011, 02:30 AM.

Comment

What an interesting subject.
                  In the years where i was fresh food buyer i had a friend who kept bees and knowing how buying flowers down the wholesale market used to start off my hay fever early than normal suffers, he used to bring me a jar of Honey Caps cut from the cones in his hives. It was very waxy and yet tasting of the sweet honey and i would chew a spoonful on my way to market and stopped suffering.
                  Even now i still have a spoonfull of honey in my morning herb tea most days. Maybe i should have nettle tea with my honey.
                  Roger
                  Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

I have used local honey as a cure from hayfever for 5 years now with almost complete success. Last year I had it mildly but it was a very bad season for many. I suffered really badly for many years and I can't take antihistamines because of other medication. It has to be local honey, within a 6 mile radius, I think and I take a teaspoon daily.
                    Never used nettle in any form but feel it is worth a try. If it works, great, if not you haven't lost anything.
                    Last edited by Suky; 01-02-2011, 09:03 PM. Reason: clarity.

Comment

Thanks for bumping this thread Rodger, it was an interesting read. I don't have hay fever, but I've just discovered I like nettle tea, so it's nice to know it's good for me!
                      Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Using herbal remedies isn't the same thing as homeopathy. There is evidence plant extracts can work and some such as aspirin and digitalis have become widely used.

However there is no evidence homeopathy works

Comment

Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
                          Thanks for bumping this thread Rodger, it was an interesting read. I don't have hay fever, but I've just discovered I like nettle tea, so it's nice to know it's good for me!
                          Also good in curries and if you blend smoothies, add a bunch of tips.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X