Hints on germinating rosemary?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hints on germinating rosemary?

I've tried for ages now, and am getting nothing at all. I've tried putting seeds on top of damp compost, pouring boiling water on them, heat, light, dark etc !

beginning to think I should just go out and buy a small rosemary plant, but really would like to grow it from seed.

How do you get yours going?

I took a few cuttings a couple of weeks ago and 2 of 3 took (they weren't even new growth!) so maybe find someone with a rosemary bush and ask for a few cuttings nicely all I know is that rosemary has reputation for it pathetic germination rate!

Comment

Seeds are pathetic. Cuttings, well a little bit early. If you want to risk (try) it now (or next month) then PM me your addie. I have rosemary coming out of the ground here.
      Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
      >
      >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

Originally posted by sarraceniac View Post
        ... I have rosemary coming out of the ground here.
        That's good then isn't it
        aka
        Suzie

Comment

Not really. I planted a pumpkin patch.
          Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
          >
          >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

I planted some seeds last week in heated greenhouse and they are germinating.

B&Q have lots of rosemary plants if desperate..

Comment

Thanks - I may just well take you up on that offer next month

Comment

I have had some rosemary seeds in a pot since 13th March, and absolutely nothing yet. I've now cheated and bought a plant, and took some cuttings to try and root them. But it is the only herb I have struggled with germinating. I've even had it in my heated propagator.

Comment

Yup, still trying just on the off chance.. I had a massive rosemary bush in my old house really gutted I didnt take it with us when we moved.

Comment

Hmm, well the pot I'd sown in last month I'd left just out of the prop in a corner of the room - and low and behold I have a single seed germinated!

Wondering if the seed I bought was old.. I may take it back and moan

I've also bought a couple small plants just in case as they were on "offer" at B&Q - 50p/ea as the pots had been knocked over and squashed (those cardboard pots), so tried my usual cheek at the checkouts saying they're as good as dead but im willing to give them a shot I may have helped out on the squashed-ness of the pots on my way to the checkouts though!

Comment

I bought 3 rosemary bushes last year and all of them died this winter!
                      Mad Old Bat With Attitude.

I tried jogging, but I couldn't keep the ice in my glass.

Comment

B&Q ones gave up the ghost - but the seed germinated, soI've 4 seedlings now. Fingers crossed.

Comment

I have just put 5 cuttings in with some hormone powder and put them in a plastic bag. Dunno if they will take though.

Comment

My Rosemary plants looking a bit woody so I've sown a tray of freebie seeds, then after reading how long they take to germinate if at all I've done a few cuttings but I didn't have any rooting powder though.
                            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X