Herbie Advice please.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peter,
    BUILD A RAISED BED! of the soil proportions to suit the herb.
    Seriously, you cannot be without the mediterranean herbs, for bees OR cooking, and build it in/on the site that is the best that your plot can offer.?

Comment

Wellie, might do when I can afford some more sleepers.
      Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.
      Visit my blog at http://podsplot.blogspot.com/ - Updated 18th October 2009
      I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Comment

Hi Peter, the only damp loving herb I could think of would be Mint, and maybe Lemon Balm. But then I had a wee look on the Plants For a Future website and did a search and it came up with about 300+ , heres a link to their search page

http://www.pfaf.org/database/

Hope it helps some, I've found it very handy in deciding what to plant in my windy, peaty, next to the sea garden .
        Cheers
        CC

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
          Wellie, might do when I can afford some more sleepers.
          sleepers make a raised bed look lovely, but you can make a very sevicable raised bed by simply importing/raising the soil level - it doesn't need anything around the edge to work. you could always add the sleepers at a later date. Or scaff planks, or pallete wood........

Comment

Originally posted by Birdie Wife View Post
            Just had another thought, catmint is excellent too, and continues flowering for a long time! Is it sedum spectabile you mean Alice? Brilliant butterfly plant.
            ...catmint is excellent providing that you don't mind all the neighbourhood cats coming over, wallowing in it and getting high as little pussy cat kites!

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
              ...catmint is excellent providing that you don't mind all the neighbourhood cats coming over, wallowing in it and getting high as little pussy cat kites!

Hmmm, think I'll give that a miss as my little furry person (canine type) would think breakfast, lunch and dinner had arrived all at once.
              Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.

Comment

Can I put another good word in for Lavender. Last Year/ year before? I remember sitting on my garden step watching the bees for hours and the only thing I had for them at the time was lavender and I had so many visiters.
                Those blue bulbs that breed like rabbits and get everywhere are always busy with bees when there is not much around for them in early spring.( not a herb but a nice colour early on)
                Last edited by mazel-bee; 16-02-2007, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mazel-bee View Post
                  [COLOR="Blue"]Can I put another good word in for Lavender. Last Year/ year before? I remember sitting on my garden step watching the bees for hours and the only thing I had for them at the time was lavender and I had so many visiters.
                  COLOR]
                  And with the variety of lavenders available there's bound to be one to suit. The only prob is that is doesn't really like getting waterlogged although it will be happy in partial shade.

How about some Calendula (Pot Marigold) too?
                  Bright Blessings
                  Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Originally posted by mazel-bee View Post

Those blue bulbs that breed like rabbits and get everywhere are always busy with bees when there is not much around for them in early spring.( not a herb but a nice colour early on)
                    Grape hyacinth/muscari? Love the description, I've a picture in my mind of the little blue spires going up like pop pop popop, very apt!

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Has hyssop had a mention yet? A bee attracter and good leaf herb.

Comment

This website was mentioned in another thread, but it looks like the bees knees, if you'll pardon the pun! They have a special sections on plants for beekeepers, and wildlife garden plants, could be just what you're looking for.

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Can I just add my vote for lavender & buddleia too as they are the best things for attracting bees & butterflies & look great too.
                          Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Thanks.

will try a GC this weekend if I can manage it, daughters birthday and take the suggestions along.
                            Thank you all for your thoughts, they are appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by roitelet View Post
                              Hi Peter,

You could try Bergamot, it grows like an herbaceous perennial and has lovely pinky red flowers. You could even try distilling the oil for your very own Earl Grey That would impress the other lottie holders
                              I agree roitelet and its the first on my list for my new herb bed!
                              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Just picked up a lovely rosemary plant yesterday from Lidl FOR £1.99, I love the smell!
                                Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X