Bought some new herbs

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought some new herbs

I took my Mum out for the afternoon today, and we ended up going to a local plant supermarket-type place. It's a bit early for full stock I guess, but I did manage to pick up a few nice-looking young herbs that I've been thinking about.

I got small pots of peppermint, spearmint, rosemary, winter savory and frnch parsley and a fairly large golden lemon thyme, all for the princely sum of a fiver. I thought that was pretty good. I also picked up a tray of 10 lavender plants for free, as some of them are looking as if they've seen better days. I'm hoping to save 3 or 4 of them.

Eventually, all of these will be put in a small herb bed I'm planning on the lottie. Will make sure I use a bottomless bucket or something to contain the roots of the mint, as I know it can get a bit virulent.

If anyone has any tips on looking after these babies, I'd really appreciate hearing them - I managed to kill off the last few pots of herbs I planted from seed .

Thanks guys

Sarah

Hi M.Sarah
    Sounds like you've done well there. You shouldn't have much problem keeping these outside, certainly my lavender cuttings are thriving in the yard (apart from the ones that died instantly on me after I took them in Sept!). My Mint and Thyme are fine, as are rosemary cuttings.
    You may find that mint dies back a bit, but it should come again in the spring (and yes, do keep it in pots if you don't want it to run away).
    French parsley I'm not sure of, maybe you could keep it sheltered for a bit?

You may want to keep some near the kitchen for quick picks when cooking.
    Good luck with them.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
    Working...
    X