Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• herb boxes looking c%&P !!

Hi all,

My herb window boxes I planted from small garden centre plants last year are looking decidedly average. Rosemary looking a bit woody and not much new growth, sage battling on with some leaves, corriander non existant and parsley yellow with little new growth thyme not changed much to be honest.

Which are saveable and which should I grow again ?? I am going to grow basil in with the tomato plants but most others in the window box so should I start again??

Thanks,

Graham

Before you give up on them - what have you been feeding them with?
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

They will be - it's been winter. They will grow back, apart from Basil and Coriander which needs to be resown.

Comment

Good point, nothing during the Winter as thought they would be dormant !! Will a tot of multi murpose liquid feed be a good start point?

Also should I cut them back completely??
        Last edited by grahama; 17-02-2010, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Sage and rosemary should be ok with a bit of a trim - don't cut too far back into rosemary's wood though - and the thyme should be ok. The watering and feeding in a window box are important. I'd put a bit of fish blood and bone on at this stage.
          Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Along with the coriander you might want to sow new parsley too. You will get new growth (that's not yellow) this year from your current plant but it is a biennial and the second year's growth can be a bit woody.

The container will eventually restrict growth so you might want to put them in the garden if they get too big.
            Last edited by zazen999; 18-02-2010, 07:07 PM. Reason: removal of own company link....

Comment

Thanks for the help, will re sow some and move others ! More potting compost needed !!!

Comment

Good luck with the herbs, I don't grow any really so can't offer any advice. Just wanted to ask what sort of puppy is in your avatar (getting old and the eyesight isn't what it could be)?
                Happy Gardening,
                Shirley

Comment

She is a Hungarian Vizsla. Best 40th birthday present I could have got. More pics in my profils when she was 'helping' with my raised beds !!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X