Getting oregano to germinate

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting oregano to germinate

I sowed some oregano in a small pot a month ago. I put the pot in a clear plastic bag, sealed it and placed the pot under a radiator in my house alongside some other seeds sown in the same way.

Most of my herbs had germinated a couple of weeks ago. As of now, the oregano still hasn't appeared and I've pretty much given up hope of it doing so.

I'm about to make a second attempt. Can anyone give me some advice on sowing the seeds so that they germinate successfully?

I just threw some on the soil in a raised bed and the plants are still there 2 years later.

Too early perhaps? They are very small so no covering needed.

If I remember correctly, they took more than a fortnight; so bear with them.

Comment

I sowed some mid Feb last year on the windowsill and they took a good couple of weeks to show.
      WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

All marjoram varieties are oreganos.

Sweet marjoram (Origanum majorana) is only half-hardy (like basil) so I wouldn't attempt sowing it before April, myself.

Wild (Origanum vulgare) and pot marjoram (Origanum onites) is hardier, and the roots will survive the winter: mine has just started to sprout again in the border

I think that's right: it's a bit confusing
        Last edited by Two_Sheds; 27-01-2010, 06:27 PM.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I was planning on keeping them indoors until the risk of frost has passed. I'll then harden them off and plant them out in the garden.

I'm going to sow some more seeds, but this time I'll sow them on the top of the compost without covering them with soil. Do I need to keep them in the dark?

Comment

Originally posted by maypril View Post
            I'm going to sow some more seeds, but this time I'll sow them on the top of the compost without covering them with soil. Do I need to keep them in the dark?
            I don't think so. I know I didnt last year.
            WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

I usually don't bother sowing herb seeds until about March / April and then they tend to come through no problems in 3" pots on the utility room window ledge.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I planted mine in the heated greenhouse (15oC at this time of year) on the 22nd, less than one week ago. Standard compost, don't cover. The left is thyme, center oregano and right, not showing yet, is sage. I'm sure a bright window would do fine. Seeds from Premier seed Direct.
                Attached Files
                Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
                >
                >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

I've just read that oregano actually requires light to germinate. So I guess covering the seeds with soil and placing them in a dark room wasn't the best way to do it!

I've put my new batch in the light now, so watch this space!

Comment

The new batch has germinated now. Thank's everyone!

Comment

Have you worked out what went wrong the first time?
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Have you worked out what went wrong the first time?
                        They were buried too deep under the soil and/or they didn't get enough light during germination.

Comment

Similar to Andrea, I grow from a scattered outdoor sowing. I've tried it in pots and in the ground, and in various bits of light and shade. It pretty much always does well and is one the most prolific 'soft' herbs that we grow. Apart from basil and coriander, I generally find that herbs like a bit of a challenge to thrive. Or at least not coddling too much.
                          I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X