herb border

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• herb border

I want to make an herb border along one side of my allotment plot to mark it off from the communal path. I was thinking of using lavender for it, but I'm not sure whether it would be better to buy plants from a nursery or seeds to grow my own (is it even possible to grow lavender plants at this time of year or do they all need to be started off in the Fall)?

Or maybe there's another herb that would make a better border than lavender?
    Hill of Beans updated April 18th

I have a lavender edge on the lottie - what is good about it is the bees love it - and then go on to do their work elsewhere! I bought a couple of six-packs from the garden centre but then I am impatient. I gather that you can grow lavender from seed too! Or get some plants and increase by cuttings. A good edging though, as long as you don't let them get bushy.
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Lavender is very easy from seed. Make sure you choose the right variety for your situation though ... some lavenders get very big and sprawling.

I have dwarf Munstead along my own path
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I have grown french lavender from seed and it is fairly easy to grow, but if you are impatient, get the plants as you can get some good deals if you shop around.

kx

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
          .. I bought a couple of six-packs from the garden centre ...
          Do they have a licence

Lavendar makes a lovely hedge, if you want to keep it quite compact I would also agree with TS on Munstead
          aka
          Suzie

Comment

I have grow lavender both ways - seeds and plants, and have to say I would buy plants because they do take a while to get to any size!!

Buy them from a garden centre or nursery when they are having an offer, ie 2 for 3 or something like that

Comment

I bought some plants last year(after failing to get the plants from seeds).They were selling both Munstead and Hidcote at the garden centre,1.5£ for a pot-healthy small but ell developed plants.I also got some stuff of ebay-plug plants at the cost of about 60-70 plugs by plant.The sellers name was funky flora.Both doing fine.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll keep my eyes open for Munstead plugs or plants on sale. Too impatient to wait for a seed to grow into a border.

Comment

Seeds to take a few years, Our garden centre does sell them in packs of six.

I would be tempered to go to Lidl on Thursday 28th January, as you can pick up two lavender plant for £5 in 5 1/2 inch pots.
                  Last edited by WrexTheDragon; 26-01-2010, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Good tip! I just went on Lidl's website and it looks like they'll have lots of other interesting things on sale too...think I'll have to stop in on my way home from work Thursday.

Comment

i have a thyme edge round my herb plot can cut it like a little hedge and stays pretty much green all year
                      and all the plants grown from seed

JB
                      Last edited by greengrass; 08-02-2010, 11:13 AM.

Comment

I love Lavender and grew it from seed for the 1st time last year. Just started some more off today in the heated prop. I did the same last year and the plants grew to a reasonable size around 1' tall and very bushy by Sept time. Give it a go.

Comment

What about winter savory or hyssop - both are evergreen and smell lovely.

Comment

Thanks for all the ideas. I think I've decided to go for lavender as a border, but the other herbs do sound interesting...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X