saffron

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JennieAtkinson View Post
    Like you Madderbat I also bought a heap back from Turkey a few years back. It was just so cheap on the market. It still colours the dish, but I don't think there's any taste from it (is there ever any taste?)
    I'm looking at doing a trek either in Turkey or Morocco perhaps in April, so could always bring a bit back.
    Anybody know what is else is good to bring back from these parts? And which has a reasonable shelf life!
    Hi Jennie,
    The chance is that what you bought in turkey is not saffron and merely food colouring. There is not such a thing as cheap saffron. I will try to find out what is commonly sold as saffron. You can achieve the same colouring by using turmeric.
    Regards
    Don Vincenzo

Comment

Hi Don Vincenzo,
      The crocus filaments I have in a large pot are definitely safffron, but after two years, and very little air, they are losing their flavour. It seems they don't keep forever

Comment

madderbat,
        I bought some saffron crocus bulbs at my local garden centre. It does however say that they are quite fussy and flowers are not reliable but I thought I would try anyway.....
        Not sure what I have to do if I do get any flowers but I'll cross that bridge when if I get some flowers

Comment

Originally posted by Don Vincenzo View Post
          ........ You can achieve the same colouring by using turmeric.
          Regards
          Don Vincenzo
          I agree Don Vincenzo if it is just the colour you are after, however saffron has a more delicate, less spicy flavour. The results are also generally lighter in colour then turmeric.

MB All spices/herbs will lose their pungency/potency/flavour etc over time as the essential oils in them gradually "evaporate". Kept airtight in the dark is the best way although once the packet is opened deterioration will start to set in.

Good luck with the crocuses if you give it a go though.
          Bright Blessings
          Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Originally posted by madderbat View Post
            Hi Don Vincenzo,
            The crocus filaments I have in a large pot are definitely safffron, but after two years, and very little air, they are losing their flavour. It seems they don't keep forever
            Hi Madderbat,
            apparently there are 5 varieties of saffron growing in the wild state, quite estensively grown in spain and once it was grown commercially in England round Saffron walden in Essex and there should be a spot in the heart of London still bearing the name of Saffron Hill. It takes 4,320 flowers to yield 1 oz of saffron. As any spice or herbs they will not preserve for ever as for anything else, so really is a matter to buy little and often according to needs. As they belong to the crocus family I cannot see any problem growing them in the UK........now I have the added problem in finding space, buying some saffron bulbs and having a go at growing them!!!!
            Apparently the corms are planted in rows 6 inches apart from corn to corn in well pulverized soil neither poor nor a very stiff clay and in the month of june July. The flowers are collected in september and the yellow stigmas and part of the style are picked out and dried between layers of paper under pressure i.e. flower press. After the third crop or years the roots are taken up, devided and transpanted. One acre of land dedicated to this crop (in the second and third year) should produce 24 lb of saffron.
            Regards
            Don Vincenzo

Comment

Originally posted by Don Vincenzo View Post
              Hi Madderbat,
              apparently there are 5 varieties of saffron growing in the wild state, ... One acre of land dedicated to this crop (in the second and third year) should produce 24 lb of saffron.
              Regards
              Don Vincenzo
              Thanks for the info Don Vicenzo - don't think I need quite that much!!

will maybe plant a few and see how I go. I can remember as a child in Cornwall that Saffron used to come in tiny little packets, about 1 drachm or something. Nan used to make saffron buns and cakes at Christmas. Maybe dont need a lot!!

Comment

Originally posted by Earthbabe View Post
                MB All spices/herbs will lose their pungency/potency/flavour etc over time as the essential oils in them gradually "evaporate". Kept airtight in the dark is the best way although once the packet is opened deterioration will start to set in.
                Hi EB. I realise this, and kept it in a sealed tub in a dark cupboard and only opened it once or twice... but eighteen months is still probably too long!!

Comment

Originally posted by JennieAtkinson View Post
                  Like you Madderbat I also bought a heap back from Turkey a few years back. It was just so cheap on the market. It still colours the dish, but I don't think there's any taste from it (is there ever any taste?)
                  I'm looking at doing a trek either in Turkey or Morocco perhaps in April, so could always bring a bit back.
                  Anybody know what is else is good to bring back from these parts? And which has a reasonable shelf life!
                  If you go to Morocco, make sure you buy '35 spices', a blend of spices you can use with chicken and with red meat, and some argan oil, very difficult to find in this country and horrendously expensive when you do. It has a fantastic flavour and it's grogeous with balsamic vinegar and ciabatta for dipping. It's beautiful in salads too. I normally put a drop in my pumpkin/butternut squash soup after serving. This is an interesting site where it explains where it comes from: http://www.al-bab.com/maroc/env/argan.htm It might put some people off though...

Comment

35 spices or Ras-el-Hanout is available from Seasoned Pioneers, although it is considerably more expensive than that bought in Morocco, but that is a fascinating website also.

http://seasonedpioneers.co.uk/default.aspx

I'm sure I've seen Argan oil for sale through some essential oil suppliers. I'll check.
                    Bright Blessings
                    Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

boring useless egoistic reply

They ...whoever they are.....grow saffron around here ...allegedly......this year i am going to find out where and how so i can grow some too.
                      if i do will let you know how it goes
                      http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

Plants with Purpose sell saffron crocus (Crocus sativus) - look here

Second time in the space of ten minutes I have mentioned this company here, maybe I should be on commission!!

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X