saffron

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• saffron

This is going to sound awfully pretentious, but I bought some saffron in Turkey two years ago, and have not yet used it all up! It's beging to go dark so I don't think it keeps too long (well two years anyway).

However, thinking of the future and the fact that I wil not fly again, I know it used to be grown in Saffron Walden, but which sort of crocus does one need, and would it be feasible to grow sufficient for use, or would you need acres and acres?
    Does anyone have any information?

All I know is the old adage that weight for weight it is more expensive than gold!
    I'm sure that if you google it you will find out if it is a special species. Giving the size of the flower and how many you could squeeze in per square yard I wouldn't have thought it would need too much space to grow enough for one family?
    Certainly make an interesting crop, and talking point though!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Hi.
      If you search seeds/bulbs on ebay, you may find saffron crocus bulbs. I've seen them on there and they really are a pretty flower. If i remember right, they are not too dear, but can't remember how many bulbs you get in a pack.

Kirsty
      Kirsty b xx

Comment

Hello Madderbat, sorry but you can't grow your safron here.. You might struggle to grow the crocus required, but you'd need acres to get any kind of a crop. The reason why it's so expensive. Sorry to hear you won't be able to fly again. The best answer is to get a friend to bring you some from somewhere - or a gardening friend from the Vine. I'm going to Tunisia in March so if I can help you from there, let me know.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
          The best answer is to get a friend to bring you some from somewhere - or a gardening friend from the Vine. I'm going to Tunisia in March so if I can help you from there, let me know.
          That is very kind of you Alice.
          I think I have enough for this year as I foolishly bought a big potful from the market at Side in Turkey, but didn't realise it doesn't last forever! Thinking of forward planning really, so may post with requests next year

Comment

Originally posted by kirsty b View Post
            Hi.
            If you search seeds/bulbs on ebay, you may find saffron crocus bulbs. I've seen them on there and they really are a pretty flower. If i remember right, they are not too dear, but can't remember how many bulbs you get in a pack.
            Kirsty
            May be lucky in the southern parts - depending on climate change maybe. Will have to do some research. Thanks

Comment

I live near by Saffron Walden & bought my friend some saffron crocus bulbs from the local tourist office as a gift... can always check to see if they have any at the mo
              How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being.”

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbeam View Post
                I live near by Saffron Walden & bought my friend some saffron crocus bulbs from the local tourist office as a gift... can always check to see if they have any at the mo
                Thanks Sunbeam, and if you could pass me their address/email/phone no I can get some from them.
                All the best

Comment

Sorry, haven't been on line for a few days - will probably be in Walden on Tues - will try to remember to go in and ask.
                  How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being.”

Comment

Like you Madderbat I also bought a heap back from Turkey a few years back. It was just so cheap on the market. It still colours the dish, but I don't think there's any taste from it (is there ever any taste?)
                    I'm looking at doing a trek either in Turkey or Morocco perhaps in April, so could always bring a bit back.
                    Anybody know what is else is good to bring back from these parts? And which has a reasonable shelf life!
                    ~
                    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                    ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Originally posted by JennieAtkinson View Post
                      Like you Madderbat I also bought a heap back from Turkey a few years back. It was just so cheap on the market. It still colours the dish, but I don't think there's any taste from it (is there ever any taste?)
                      I'm looking at doing a trek either in Turkey or Morocco perhaps in April, so could always bring a bit back.
                      Anybody know what is else is good to bring back from these parts? And which has a reasonable shelf life!
                      I brought three large packs of Rigani (oregano) back from Crete last year, hope it will last me - dried and sealed it shoulld do. I use it quite a lot more now than I used to.

Comment

We're still growing 'Beit Alpha' cucumbers that are from a Turkish seed pkt from a market stall in North Cyprus, you get half-size cukes just like in the Med! Tasty.
                        To see a world in a grain of sand
                        And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Yes, I brought some seeds back from Crete too, big tomatoes, spinach, peppers, and a few other things I couldn't understand the names of! Will give them a go and see what happens

Comment

Hello Jennie, Yes Safron does have a taste - very subtle but distinctive. Most noticable in things like safron rice. If your looking to bring something back from your trek (sounds good) you could go for harissa - although it's too hot for me.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Thats a good idea Alice - I used to bring back great Harissa from some of the little shops in the villages when cycling in France. So really miss that.
                              I brought back seeds from Spain last year - some lovely looking tomatoes and an unusual shaped Cos lettuce amongst other things. Really looking forward to trying them.
                              ~
                              Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                              ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X