Hyssop question!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyssop question!

I'm going to grow hyssop this year for the first time. I've got the tricolor mix which looks stunning, and will plant it round the edge of my comfrey bed on the allotment. I'm growing it mainly for the looks and for the bees - but does anyone have any suggestions for its use in cooking?? I'm a great fresh herb user, but have no experience of hyssop.

Thanks!!

La Cebolla Grande

Stuff it under the skin of chickens before you roast them.

Comment

Bonsoir la Cebolla Grande

Your planting plan sounds great.
      This is not an herb I've used in cooking; the Wikipedia entry says it can be added to soups, steps and salads but was mainly a strewing herb. Has a strong taste, so experiment with caution!

Welcome to the vine, make merry here

Comment

Hyssop can be a great herb to use sparingly. Try it with the fattier meats, pork, goose (!) etc. It a great respiratory herb and useful for shifting catarrh to and good for the digestion.

I also add some to salads in the summer, often just the tips even with flowers, it looks pretty and adds a nice flavour that also goes well with things like lasagne, cheesy dishes etc.
        Bright Blessings
        Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Excellent - I'm prone to catarrh, so thats a good hint!

Once its grown (first hurdle), I'll give it a try, sparingly at first I guess!

Comment

We grow it in our medieval herb garden for the medicinal purposes. So must have been good then, believe it was for respiritory illness as earthbabe suggests.

Comment

I have it in my herb patch and use it when roasting beef. Just a sprig on the joint before wrapping in foil gives a great taste.

As to its legendary anti-mucous qualities, I use it crushed or chopped in a big bowl of boiling water, put a towel over my head and breathe the steam - clears your sinuses a treat.
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I too am trying Hyssop this year and look forward to growing and using it....watch this space!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I use it for flavouring soups, it's good in salads, stuffings, and is lovely with fish and lamb. It also makes a rather good herb tea especially if you sweeten it with some borage honey

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X