Herbs as companion plants?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herbs as companion plants?

Any recommendations of herbs as companion plants?

We always plant basil amongst our greenhouse toms and summer savoury with our French beans. Both herbs cook well with the 'crop' but do they also have other positive aspects?
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Summer savory is a magic little herb, in the pot and on the plot. If you plant it among beans, it repels bean beetle
    SSx
    not every situation requires a big onion

Comment

I like the idea of magikal herbs! .....well it smells and tastes good and I've never seen any bean beetle.

Comment

Summer savoury is one herb I haven't got yet, must look out for it.

I've got lavender to keep the mozzies away from the door, and parsley goes well with garlic; nasturtium is more of a flower, but works well with tomatoes and beans, and you can eat the flowers!

Here is a really good chart which I find helpful

http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/companion.htm

Comment

Super link thank you madderbat
          Top tip: sow the summer savory at the same time as your beans
          Last edited by supersprout; 16-01-2007, 03:05 PM.
          SSx
          not every situation requires a big onion

Comment

Originally posted by supersprout View Post
            Super link thank you madderbat
            Top tip: sow the summer savory at the same time as your beans
            Great idea, thanks - it means I don;t have to panic just yet about it!

Comment

Great Link MB, ta very much!
              Blessings
              Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
              Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
              Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
              On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Great link, cheers muchly!

Comment

I'm just about to try an early indoor sowing of BORAGE, to plant with some unusual Tomatoes that I'm growing from seed. Borage is very attractive to bees, and will attract them into the greenhouse to help pollination.
                  It's attractive in the flower borders too, and simply perfect in a nice cooling glass of Pimms!
                  Why not give it a try this year?

Comment

Does it self sow Wellie? I grew alot from seed last year (it was a bit vigorous) so wondered if it would come up again this year. Its very nice in a G&T too!
                    ~
                    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                    ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Hi Jennie, our allotments have all got borage, seems to be a perpetual self seeder, and small seedlings can be transplated. We may be in a sheltered spot (houses all around) which proably helps, but it seems pretty hardy. Goes well in Pimms too!

Comment

Never had a Pimms Madderbat, but seen it for sale. What do you mix it with? Or is it drunk on its own? Seem to think something like angastora bitters goes with it, but can't think where I know that from? I could be so good at Trivial Pursuit, but i never get the right questions!
                        ~
                        Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                        ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

I think you can mix it with things to make cocktails, here is a site with more informaiton.

http://www.viewlondon.co.uk/pimms-no-1-cup_index.html

There are several types of Pimms, (which is a trade name) based on vodka, gin, etc. all quite interesting and worth having, just to watch Wimbledon with!

Comment

Jennie, it does, as MB says, self-seed. Although, the plants I've had in my garden have only decided to self-sow in my neighbour's garden, and not mine!
                            He hands them back over the fence though, as he's not bothered!
                            Mix one measure of Pimms with either Lemonade or Ginger Beer, and add a bit of fresh fruit (strawbs etc), a sprig of fresh mint, some cucumber, a sprig of borage (with flowers), ice, and a straw......

Comment

Pimms & Lemonade with ice in a highball glass topped off with borage leaves for taste and flowers for decoration.

Bees absolutely adore it - maybe they're carrying Pimms?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X