Growing Coriander and chives

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lovage View Post
    There are different strains of seed for leaf production and seed production.
    I once made the mistake of sowing seed sold as spice only for it to bolt very early
    I am told that the root has the most flavour and can be washed, chopped and used in curries
    I'm a bit surprised with the roots-I thought it was either leaves or seeds.Do you know any good variety for seeds?

Comment

Yeah, the one on my plot: it produced about a million seeds last year (and I'm expecting millions of seedling any time soon)
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by jimfin View Post
        I,ve sowed my coriander seeds in 3"x2" pods in a heated propagator. How many seed should I sow in each of these pods?
        These pods are about the size of the conainers that you buy in the likes of Tesco with growing coriander. What I was getting at was, how many seeds should I sow in the pod to get a crop like the ones they sell in Tesco!!!

Comment

I grow coriander in plugs which are about the quarter of the size of your pods and I use 5 seeds which, when potted on gives me a decent 8cm square pot full (similar size to garden centre herbs). I find germination is normally pretty good (at least 4 out of 5 seeds) so you won't need to sow 10 seeds to get 5 seedlings. Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by coreopsis View Post
            I'm a bit surprised with the roots-I thought it was either leaves or seeds.Do you know any good variety for seeds?
            Yup, any that isn't called 'leaf coriander'

Comment

I moved my Coriander to a sunny windowsill with a rad underneath it, after it had germinated in a heated prop.
              They are looking very limp at the moment. I also have some Birds Eye chillis beside them and they are looking a lot better.
              I give them a mist spray once a day. Should I also put some water in the tray!!

Comment

Yes! - if they have germinated and have roots then they'll need a drink rather than a mist. Also give them a bit of ventilation - they need a bit of breeze to toughen them up otherwise they'll end up spindly.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X