Starting a new herb bed ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting a new herb bed ?

I have grown herbs here and there but not had much success with the exception of corriander !
    However I am having a move around and can probably create a deep raised bed around 3ft square.
    How can i get it to be most productive and what goes with what and when in the year do i start ?
    Thanks in advance

Jayjay

QSL M6JDB
    The link to my old website with vegetable garden and poultry photographs

http://www.m6jdb.co.uk

You can plant pot grown stuff any time the ground is workable. Plant mints by plunging their pots into the soil otherwise they will take over.

I use lovage as a centre piece as it grows upwards of 6' but is great for use in stocks, soups and stews. I grow the following as essentials

mint (various varieties)
    thyme
    sage
    rosemary
    French tarragon
    oregano
    lavender
    sorrell

All are perenials and you usually have something to pick all through the year.

As annuals, basil is a must, along with flat leaf parsley and corriander.

Comment

Thanks for that, that sounds like a good start and if i can get something off it every month of the year i will be really happy.
      Only just started to use fresh herbs in my cooking. To be honest i have only just got over how good the vegetables taste when home grown but now i find the herbs really add another dimension !
      thanks

Jayjay

QSL M6JDB

Comment

Wait till spring to plant things like basil and parsley, I'd say. I'm interested in the success you've had with coriander, that's the one herb I've never managed to grow properly. What do you do and how do you stop it bolting?

Reb

Comment

Originally posted by Reb Williams View Post
          Wait till spring to plant things like basil and parsley, I'd say. I'm interested in the success you've had with coriander, that's the one herb I've never managed to grow properly. What do you do and how do you stop it bolting?

Reb

Parsley needs heat to germinate. You can plant it in late spring but to get the seed to really kick-in then put it in a pot of compost or good soil and cover it with a good quarter inch of potting compost (or good soil). Then - and this is not a joke - boil your kettle and water it with just off the boil water. Yes, I'm serious. You won't cook it, it will force germination.

Just editing to say, to stop coriander bolting - keep picking it is the easiest way, it will keep coming.
          Last edited by sarraceniac; 01-11-2009, 04:12 PM.
          Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
          >
          >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

I grow Chervil, Dill, Curly Leaf Parsley, Basil and Chives on my kitchen window over the winter.

Comment

Outside we have;

rosemary
              sage (various)
              mint (various)
              thyme (lemon and golden)
              oregano
              chives
              lavender
              sorrell
              bay

Inside

Basil
              Coriander
              Lemon Grass

Restrict the mint, but otherwise, you should find herbs pretty easy to grow, compared with many other things. I find Greek Basil much easier to grow than any other type - I use it constantly. It's got a strong flavour and grows fast and generally keeps up with me.

I use herbs everyday, and couldn't be without any of them!
              Last edited by Rhona; 02-11-2009, 04:32 PM.
              I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

I grow my mint in an old butlers sink, then the rest of my herbs are in pots.

rosemary
                thyme
                chives
                bay

I've got parsley on the kitchen still and I did have some basil but that died over the weekend.
                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

We have established a number of community herb gardens here in todmorden, and some of our most successful herbs have been sage, lovage, angelica, golden marjoram and lemon balm as well as many varieties of thyme and mint... our newest garden is at our local health centre and includes lots of rosemart, many different sages, and more unuasual herbs will be added in the spring.

In my experience coriander grows best in poorer soil, it grows better in some areas of Todmorden than others...we are in a river valley with moorland tops, so our soil ranges from really peaty and acid, to heavy clay in the valley bottom...

helena
                  Last edited by Incredible Edible; 04-11-2009, 06:21 AM.
                  Dream big,,, dream HUGE!!
                  http://www.incredible-edible-todmorden.co.uk/

Comment

You might be right about the corriander being better in poor soil. I bought a growing one from asda and split it int about 5 plants and put them in the ground under my chamelia. A couple of weeks later I trimmed the tops with some scissors. Next thing you know I have got a carpet of corriander about 2ft square. It just kept going.
                    I tried with a few others in a similar fashion and they all faded quite quickly !
                    Sometimes I think its just the luck of the draw !

Comment

looking at puting a herb garden out front of house thinking of putting logs to build up area and then fill with soil and that will this work

Comment

Originally posted by ronbuckvw View Post
                        looking at puting a herb garden out front of house thinking of putting logs to build up area and then fill with soil and that will this work
                        Long as you grow the right herbs for the conditions Ron it will work just fine. I am slowly moving my copious, spread out, herbs to a new slightly raised bed nearer the house. Should work with no problems.

>

Comment

Have just duilt a herb table approx 4' by 18" split into three separate beds. Because of the height already I don't want anything with to much height. I have seed for sage and parsley, have ordered oregano and thyme seed today and have chives out on the lottie. The only other one I would like is a rosemary but will probably have to buy a plant.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by gojiberry View Post
                            Have just duilt a herb table approx 4' by 18" split into three separate beds. Because of the height already I don't want anything with to much height. I have seed for sage and parsley, have ordered oregano and thyme seed today and have chives out on the lottie. The only other one I would like is a rosemary but will probably have to buy a plant.

Ian
                            Why buy Ian? Rosemary is easy from cuttings. Unfortuately this is the wrong time of year. Cuttings in summer are no problem, and if you buy a plant it will only be small. If you want to PM me in July I will root you one or two (they travel better that way) and send it in late August\early September. If you are in a rush you shouldn't be gardening.

>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X