root ginger

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• root ginger

with out sounding dumber then ether...how the ek do u grow ginger plz..av asked all shops nobody knows lol..

Loads of threads on the vine about growing ginger.

Here's a couple...

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ger_13853.html

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ger_10602.html

That should get you going
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

I've grown it a few of times and tends to be relatively short-lived, around 12months or so, but by then it's time to harvest the ]real home-grown ginger!

I tend to start mine off about Christmas time, planting a rhizone with a bud uppermost and just proud of the compost. It needs warmth throughout its growing period, so indoors in a conservatory or greenhouse would be fine. I've often grown them as presents as its leaves also smell of ginger if you squeeze them.

I've always managed to get at least 2 decent sized rhizomes in a pot about 10" in dia.

Do give it a try! And it's a great plant for children to grow!

Comment

i just harvested my ginger rhizome today

here is a pic, this is two season old, you can actually dig out the root carefully, break of what you need and then replant it

Comment

Hi Niki

As grapes before said, it really is that easy. Cut a 2/3 inch bit off, making sure you have a couple of shoots and plant

Comment

But, if you can't manage to grow the rhizomes, put a chunk of bought ginger in the freezer, When you need it you can always grate it from frozen.

valmarg
            Last edited by valmarg; 08-07-2009, 06:48 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X