Help with Herbs

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Herbs

New to growing things this year so just giving everything a try, I am interested in growing herbs, which ones are perenial though? or are most of themm, any help and info on herbs and the likes would be great thanks.

Have mint which is doing well, a Bayleaf tree and a Rosemary Tree/tall bush

Chives are perennial as is sage and thyme. Rosemary is another perennial, but is not the hardiest of shrubs. Parsley is a biennial (you sow one year for a crop the next). I've bought seed of sorrel, oregano, dill, etc but have not got round to sowing them yet.

valmarg

Comment

I think sorrel is best sown annualy, as in my experience it turns into a invasive shrub the second year as do chives. I dig the chives up each year and re plant in small groups(they grow so fast)I've found that parsley has a useful life of 2/3 years then I discard it. Some of the other herbs are worth growing on as border plants. Beware the mint, it's evil in the garden
      I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

I have 3 mints at the moment, 2 of them are in pots the other (Chocolate Mint?) so the label said anyway!! Put that one in my fruit bed at the back of the garden, have boxed it in though to try and push it to spread along the boarder but not backwards into the fruit bed, will keep an eye to it though.

As for the Rosemary, we bought it at the time more on the grounds of it looking nice and would fit in the gound by the side of my brassica bed, when you say hardy will I need to cover it during winter?

Comment

Rosemary is totally hardy here, so it should be fine in Kent.

Have you been to the Physic Garden in Chelsea? Worth a trip, for inspiration: http://www.chelseaphysicgarden.co.uk...llections.html
          Last edited by Two_Sheds; 28-05-2009, 07:41 AM.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

have you had a look at this site? Building a Herb Garden - Herb Expert (UK)
            Last edited by Two_Sheds; 28-05-2009, 07:41 AM.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thats exactly what I was looking for, a website on herbs and how to keep them alive!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X