Mint Question

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mint Question

How long does mint take to germinate? I sowed some in a big-ish pot two weeks ago and so far, no sign of it. I sowed marjoram, chives, calendula and parsley on the same day. I know parsley takes 4 weeks to show, all the other ones have come on well, but no sign so far of the mint. Any advice/ideas would be great! Thanks.

Inghinn
    I'm happy when it rains, because if I wasn't happy it would still rain!

Well, I should have to say I have never tried to grow mint from seed.

What we have is some mint that was given to us, and has proved prolific.

What I also have is a few plants that I grew from cuttings from a supermarket pack. It is a much 'mintier' smelling plant.

Once you have managed to get mint plants they do need to be controlled. Mint can be an absolute thug.

valmarg

Comment

I cant get it to germinate, at all, every year i try and fail, so i bought them from tescos, i get them and pot them into flower buckets, as long as you repot them they grow fine, every year , they grow rapidly , when the buckets are full just chop it into a few pieces and repot
      There 2 herb plants for £2 at tescos at the minute
      Living off grid and growing my own food in Bulgaria.....

Comment

Mint can also be propagated from its roots, or rhizomes. Simply take a piece of root and pot it up in a small container, keeping it well watered. Leaves should begin to sprout within a few weeks Growing Mint - Herb Expert (UK)
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I've never grown mint from seeds. Just stick a bunch in water and it grows roots really quickly.

Comment

The first leaves are really small and easy to miss. Last year I didnt notice they had germinated (after about 3 weeks) and so the plastic bag over the pot remained on. By the time I took it off to check, the mint that had germinated had rotted. By contrast, this year I just took the plastic off after 3 weeks and I now have 3 pots growing slowly but surely

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X