Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dill query

What is dill used in?

I can find relative information on the herb but not what it's used in once grown.

Here in UK mainly for dishes associated with fish.

The other uses I could recommend:

-new potatoes served hot with some butter and sprinkled with dill
    -summer salad-cucumber with dill and creme fraiche,soured cream or natural yoghurt-works well with radishes and chives
    -dill soup-veg or chicken stock,a few handfuls of dil,bring to the boil-serve with creme fraiche or cream,might do with mashed creamy tatties on side
    -dill sauce/dip-goes well with pizza and bbq(1:1 natural yoghurt and mayo-for a more "skinny" version try less mayo-mix it with chopped dill).The same sauce can be made with horseradish and freshly cut garlic.
    -cucumbers"marinated"in brine-dill is one of basic ingredients beside horseradish and garlic
    -summer cabbage-cabbage,dill,butter,plain flour,a few drops of lemon juice-chop the cabbage,boil for a few minutes,at the end add flour fried on butter(to thicken it)and a few drops of lemon juice to taste.Once off the heat add the dill(if you cook it with the cabbage it will loose all the flavour)

If I remember something more I'll edit the post

One of my favourite herbs by the way...
    Last edited by coreopsis; 26-05-2009, 11:09 AM.

Comment

I like to put a few leaves in between the fillets of a whole fish, sea-trout or Mackerel, goes well with trout.
      The seeds make a nice substitute for mints

Comment

I love dill!

Dill pickled cucumbers
        I'm sure Nigella has a few recipes- dill cured gravadlax springs to mind. Will have a look. It certainly goes well with salmon (smoked and non-smoked) as well as the other fish mentioned.

Americans tend to use dill more than we do (possibly because of the Scandinavian/N European origins of many of them?) so you could try a US recipe site for specific recipes.

HMK

Comment

I use dill in a Middle Eastern dish - fry 1tbsp each of cumin & mustard seeds, 4 cloves garlic & about 15 curry leaves, add 1lb spinach, 7tbsp chopped fresh dill & 6tbsp plain yogurt. Cook it until the liquid is absorbed then add 2tbsp lemon juice, 1-2tsp chili powder & 2 tins of blackeyed beans. You can add some water at this point - the recipe says add 350ml of water but I usually only put a bit in. Simmer for 10 mins then serve (it goes very well with some pitta bread and/or rice).

Comment

Try this.
            There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Originally posted by HotStuff View Post
              Try this.
              What a very helpful comment. Anyone can look at the millions of recipes out there on the internet; I suspect that when people ask for a recipe on a forum like this, they're looking for personal recommendations for things people have tried and liked rather than any old random recipe that could turn out to be pretty rubbish.

Comment

I edited my earlier post adding some stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by starr View Post
                  What a very helpful comment. Anyone can look at the millions of recipes out there on the internet; I suspect that when people ask for a recipe on a forum like this, they're looking for personal recommendations for things people have tried and liked rather than any old random recipe that could turn out to be pretty rubbish.
                  A bit harsh, the original poster said that they couldn't find ideas so somebody posted a link to some. If you don't want to try them then don't.

Personally I use it almost entirely with fish but sometimes add some to new potatoes also. Am intending to use it with gherkins this year also.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by starr View Post
                    You're entitled to your suspicions, but I didn't see the word "recommend" or any inference of that in the OP.
                    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                      Am intending to use it with gherkins this year also.
                      Exactly my plan this year - both are doing well so far.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X